Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leak at pump outlet/diverter valve to cart. tank/cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

leak at pump outlet/diverter valve to cart. tank/cleaner

I noticed a leak where the cartridge side of the diverter valve is dripping, circled in green, http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g180/ ... 0820-1.jpg. The diverter valve is attached to the pump outlet and the valve Ts flow to the cartridge tank on one side and the cleaner line on the other, http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g180/ ... G_0822.jpg.

I am a pool newbie who started out with no leaks a few months ago and just noticed this yesterday. Is this a major issue that needs to be addressed asap, or can it wait until the weekend? I believe I can tackle a project like this with some advice from you guys. I assume I am going to need to replace the valve and use pvc couplings to reinstall? Are there any specific types of glue, pipe, etc. for pool applications?

Pump is a Jandy Stealth 1.5hp SHPF.

Thanks
    ~15000 gallon inground, plaster pool
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner
    Leslie's DPD Complete Test Kit, TF Tests FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Kit
    Heliocol solar pool heating (HC-40 x6)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: leak at pump outlet/diverter valve to cart. tank/cleaner

No, not a major issue. There isn't anything special that you need to repair it with. Just regulat PVC40 and PVC cleaner and glue.

3. Back To Top    #3

Being the leak is at the couple connected to the valve, how would you cut and reconnect?
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!! BOTH of you

Are you sure it's the glued connection and not the lid leaking? (looks like 2 screws are missing in the second photo, right where the circle is in the first)

Since it looks like an 1 1/2" valve that they glued 2" pipe onto, I'm thinking the valve's body isn't cracked - as long as you're not loosing a couple inches of water / day - you should be good to wait until this weekend to make the repair.

As long as the valve isn't cracked - this could be an inexpensive and easy fix

BTW - 'Ted' is a VERY serviceable name
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, you were close. The screws are there, but the 2 screws in question was were the leak was. It was the illusion of a leaky union. I tightened them down and walla...no leak, for now. I assume I will need to get some fresh screws and a new o-ring for the valve.

6. Back To Top    #6

**UPDATE**

Jandy is great. The 3-way valve is a NeverLube with lifetime warranty. All I did was email them, no questions asked. See below:

Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:47 AM
    To:
    Subject: leaking neverlube valve

Dear Ed,

We are writing in response to your recent request received via electronic mail regarding a Valve. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you.

We apologize for the problem you're experiencing. I have placed an order for new o-rings and cover for your valve. Your order number for reference is 847801. Hope this helps!

Your satisfaction with your Jandy product is very important to us. If we can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can reach a customer service representative Monday through Friday between the hours of 5:00am - 5:00pm (PST) at our toll-free number: (800) 822-7933. You can also send an email via our website 24/7: http://www.jandy.com

Regards,
    My 3-way NeverLube valve is leaking at the valve housing screws. It is a steady drip coming from 3 of the screws. Being this product has a lifetime warranty, can you advice me on how to get this fixed asap? I assume one of the o-rings is leaking:

Valve cover o-ring
    Valve shaft o-ring

Pump pressure is operating in normal range, ~19psi filter tank pressure.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ted, valve cover o-ring would be my first bet Of course the screws (8) may just need to be tightened - as I said above, it looked like a couple were missing and if they had been removed and not properly tightened down, the o- ring may still be good (if the entire top was removed there is a chance that the o- ring got pinched on reinstallation )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)