FAS/DPD Test

DonW

Jun 27, 2008
Central IL.
I have a question about the FAS/DPD test. My test kit arrived in the mail today and was anxious to use it for the first time because I suspect an algae bloom in progress. I have had stains on the floor that resemble bird droppings, yellow/brownish/greenish in color and greenish staining happening along a small portion of the cove in places. My skimmer sock has a vibrant green color to it and washes out o.k., but my thermometer string has turned green. To be honest I've been shocking the pool with triichlor shock and have been using the pucks. My CYA has shot way up and now I am on the precipice of being a full-blown BBB convert. I have bought 16 gallons of bleach and am going to shock tonight with that. It appears from the calculator I'm going to need about 6-7 gallons to begin. I'm even leaning towards a partial drain-down after this so I don't have to use so much bleach in the future.
My question: When testing for CC's and you are adding R-0871, will the sample remain clear, or after awhile, say 20-30 seconds, return to pink? I have been adding the R-0871 and counting. I go to mark my results down and when I look up the sample has turned pink again!
I have been running the pump 24/7 since I've suspected the algae, and the water is clear with minimal staining. I've been waiting for the FAS/DPD test kit to arrive before I started to shock with bleach. My numbers are:
FC: 7
TC: > 4
PH: 7.5
ALK: 250
CYA: 75-80

Any other data to provide I do not know or cannot test for. Sorry this has been long-winded but I wanted clarification on the drop test. This has been a great site and I've learned so much from it. It's taken awhile, but the conversion from trichlor to BBB will happen tonight. My apologies to all for being resistant, but there has been an awakening!

If you are going to lower CYA, it is much better to do that first and then shock.

When doing the FAS-DPD chlorine test, if you leave the sample sitting after you are done it will turn pink again. Normally this takes more than a minute after you are done, but if the test takes a while to perform it can happen sooner.

it will turn back pink. do your tests as instructed on the form. when it's clear, you're done, just pour it out at that point if it will be less confusing.
if you're going to drain, do it now rather than later. you'll save money right away by using less bleach.
so what is your CC number? btw, TC=FC+CC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.