Pool losing water. Is this normal?

Jan 27, 2018
Mobile, Al
Hello All,
We just purchased a home 2 weeks ago with a pool (16 x 35) and it's losing water? It's lost between 5 and 6 inches in these two weeks and maybe two inches in the last few days? The weather has been fairly moderate with a few showers during that period. Is this normal? Do note, the pool has no plantings immediately around it so and we have had some good breezes during this time.

Thanks,
Ralph

Ralph,

Most pools lose about 1/8 to 1/4" per day... You sound like you are losing a lot more than that.

See this link... Pool School - Leak Detection

One thing that I do to track water usage is to use one of those free paint stirrers that you get at a big box store.. I put it over the lip of the coping and down against the mouth of the skimmer and then pull it out. It will leave a nice water line. I use a pencil and drawn across the water line.. The next day I do the same thing and compare the difference.. If you do this for several days it will give you a pretty accurate reading on how much water you are losing each day.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim! I went over tonight and taped a ruler inside the skimmer. So I should have an accurate measurement of loss tomorrow sometime. It also looks like the water loss is closer to 5in. I know the pump is losing a little water so maybe it and evaporation is all that is at play. I will look at everything closer tomorrow.

Ralph

Ralph,

Most pools lose about 1/8 to 1/4" per day... You sound like you are losing a lot more than that.

See this link... Pool School - Leak Detection

One thing that I do to track water usage is to use one of those free paint stirrers that you get at a big box store.. I put it over the lip of the coping and down against the mouth of the skimmer and then pull it out. It will leave a nice water line. I use a pencil and drawn across the water line.. The next day I do the same thing and compare the difference.. If you do this for several days it will give you a pretty accurate reading on how much water you are losing each day.

Thanks,

Jim R.

That’s pretty slick trick... consider it borrowed, thanks!

Hello All,
We just purchased a home 2 weeks ago with a pool (16 x 35) and it's losing water? It's lost between 5 and 6 inches in these two weeks and maybe two inches in the last few days? The weather has been fairly moderate with a few showers during that period. Is this normal? Do note, the pool has no plantings immediately around it so and we have had some good breezes during this time.

Thanks,
Ralph

I'm 80 miles from you in Gulf Breeze, FL so conditions are comparable. I have lost zero water in the last few weeks. If anything, it's increased with the rainfall.

I would say you have a fairly major leak.

UPDATE>>>>

So I most definitely have a leak and believe the loss has increased since my girls swam this past weekend. The pool lost right at 1/2in of water overnight and in a 20 hour period. So it was quite low and just above the skimmer. With such, I could see a clear patch at the new water line which is coming off.

Do you think this is where I am losing the water and what should I do? Should I re-patch the hole and then monitor it for loss or should I just call a professional? Just as a note, I went ahead and raised the water level about 3 inches because I think the pump failed to circulate the water today. My chlorine level had dropped down to 2100 but got back up to 2500 after about 4 hours of manual running. Those are the numbers listed on my Hayward Aquarite.

God Bless,
Ralph

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ralph,

The first step in finding a leak is to just let the water drop until it stops... In almost all cases, the leak is just above where the water stops leaking..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. That is my plan but I wanted to know if I should do anything to the pool prior to allowing the water to leak out? Because once the water gets low as before there will be no cleaning the pool as the pumps cannot run. So, should I shock the pool or anything such as that prior to attempting to fix it? I am planning on purchasing a robotic pool cleaner but it may be two weeks before I get it in. Should I wait to perform the repair at that time because at least the robot could keep it clean meanwhile?

Thanks,
Ralph

Ralph,

This doesn't have anything to do with the leak but you have me worried on what you think the SWG is displaying. The 2100/2500 reading is not a chlorine reading, it is the salinity reading. With a reading that low the SWG is most likely not generating chlorine. You need to test the water to get a chlorine reading along with all the water parameters. You also need to test the salinity, most likely you have lost too much salt and you need to add some to get the SWG working properly. You always need to verify the salinity with a test kit and not rely on the SWG before adding more salt to a pool.

Push the diagnostic button and write down all the different numbers that the display shows. Post those numbers up and we'll see if the SWG is working.

Ralph,

Just like PoolGuy, I was assuming the leak would stop just below the bad patch...

If the pump will be off for more than 24 hours, I would have 2 or 3 gallons of 8.25 % bleach on hand so that you can add a little at a time to maintain your FC level.. You can just use your brush or net to move the water around a little bit..

Jim R.

Ralph,

This doesn't have anything to do with the leak but you have me worried on what you think the SWG is displaying. The 2100/2500 reading is not a chlorine reading, it is the salinity reading. With a reading that low the SWG is most likely not generating chlorine. You need to test the water to get a chlorine reading along with all the water parameters. You also need to test the salinity, most likely you have lost too much salt and you need to add some to get the SWG working properly. You always need to verify the salinity with a test kit and not rely on the SWG before adding more salt to a pool.

Push the diagnostic button and write down all the different numbers that the display shows. Post those numbers up and we'll see if the SWG is working.

This was the last reading I took from Wednesday with my TfTest kits. I will take another reading today and perform the SWG diagnostics as you suggested.

Chlorine 5-10
PH........ 7.2
FC........ 9
CC........ .5
TC........ 9.5
CH........ 150
TA........ 40
CYA...... didn't test
NaCi..... 4,400

I increased the SWG from it's original 60% setting up to 70%/80% for a short period until it got to 2700. I then turned it back down to 60%. Should I add some salt to get it higher or just increase the setting again? I'm new to pools and you can see my levels in this thread HERE. The pool looks great at the moment, btw.

Ralph

What reading are you saying is 2700?

Which test kit did you use to get 4,400 salt reading? Do not add more salt to the pool.

Post the diagnostic readings on the SWG.

Hello Ping,

1) The 2700 number is the Hayward Aquarite SWG reading. It is salt content ppm. 2700ppm is the lowest recommended level and errors will occur at that number or below. The optimal number for that system is listed as 3200ppm.

2) I used the Taylor K-1766 salt water test kit to test the salinity and it showed 4,400ppm. I tested again tonight and it showed 3,800ppm.

3) I have the numbers shown within diagnostics at 2700ppm and can show those if necessary. However, my SWG unit is now up to 2,800ppm and there are no error lights showing. Everything is showing good on the panel.

Ralph

Keep using it until it fails which might be very soon. It should be within a few hundred points of the K-1766 reading. When cells start to fail the first thing they do is report a lower salinity level which is happening in your case. Do not add more salt because you will need to drain some water to lower the salinity level when you get a new cell. Just to let you know, the salinity level has nothing to do with the chlorine level in the water. The salinity level needs to be in range so the SWG can make chlorine from the salt in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.