(PICTURE ADDED) AQUA TROL HP Percentage Setting Going Way UP

Jun 13, 2009
I have a Aquat trol on a 14000 above ground. I run the pump (on low) 12 hours a day 8 am to 8 pm. I had been running the percentage setting on 35% until a couple of weeks ago with no problem. (holding whatever FC level I was at)

I now am having to run it on 60 to 70 percent to keep the same 4-5 FC. I ran it at 50% through the night last night and only got a .5 increase. I am not showing any CC.

The only change I can point to is a bad thunder storm that filled the pool with crape mytle debris. Some got through my filter and actually clogged the cell. While I had it off I went adead and acid cleaned it. Any ideas on what has changed.
The unit is new this year.

Salt 3000 - 3400
PH 7.5
TA 120
CH 310
CYA 100 (drained and refilled some yesterday to lower, will check tomorrow)

Re: AQUA TROL HP Percentage Setting Going Way UP

Most likely you have a low level algae problem. The SWG is holding the algae in check, so it isn't obviously visible, but isn't enough to kill it off completely. You can confirm this by doing an overnight FC loss test. If you lose chlorine overnight, you have algae and need to shock the pool.

While I am waiting to do the loss test I have been reading other post. I read a few about Mustard algae and wonder it I have it. I have been having to vacuum every couple of days for what I thought was sand. But it looks like some descriptions of algae from other post.

Looks like sand but you can not pick it up no matter how slow you try. It just turns to dust.
No grains of sand to pick up.

I did take the filter out this afternoon and clean it in TSP. It did have a greenish tint.

Here are a few pics I tool with a underwater camera.

Attachments

• DSCF0564_renamed_22098.jpg
    DSCF0564_renamed_22098.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCF0565_renamed_15932.jpg
    DSCF0565_renamed_15932.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF0566_renamed_4685.jpg
    DSCF0566_renamed_4685.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 204
I've got a setup like yours.
I ran at 50-55% during most of June and the beginning of July till I went on vacation.
We had record heat at this time with almost no rain and was using about 5ppm of chlorine a day.
Since the vacation it has been slightly cooler and cloudier with some rain and I've cut back to 35%.
I try to watch it closely because if it drops down I'll get algea quickly.
I've had and still have to vacume up the stuff your talking about, it varies alot for us because we have alot of trees. If we get algea the problem gets alot worse, I can vacume in the evening and in the morning there is alot of stuff laying down, by evening it looks bad.
I've let the cl ppm drop to 3 and we get algea every time.

Thanks. It has been very hot here the last few weeks also. (Southeast Virginia) So maybe I am worried about nothing.
This is my first year with the SWG and I am still learning. Just couldn't figure out the sudden increase in %.

I'll stick with the 60% and see how things go if we get a few overcast days.

I was holding at 4.5 tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.