Using bleach for shock

Jerry

Aug 10, 2009
New Orleans
This is my first post....stumbled on this site looking for leak detection.

I have an in ground plaster lap pool about 9-10,000 gal.
I was using a 1 lb bag of shock once a week....how much liquid bleach should be used to substitute?

Re: Using bleach for schock

Have you read pool school yet? All of your questions can probably be answered there - just click on the tab on the top right of your screen. If you still have questions after reading it, let us know.

Welcome to TFP!

You can use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to calculate quantities.

If a pool is properly maintained, there is no need to shock weekly. You only really need to shock when there is a problem of some kind. As frustratedpoolmom suggested, now might be a good time to do some reading at Pool School.

JasonLion said:
If a pool is properly maintained, there is no need to shock weekly.

Just to add to Jason's comment...shock is something you do to your pool water it is not something you add. You add chlorine...The term "shock" is often used as a marketing slogan to decribe another form of chlorination...in this case granulated chlorine stabilized with CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.