Thank you tfp!

You might want to put some water in that pool. :grin: It's too clear to have any. Must be an optical illusion. Very nice. :goodjob:

With all the $$$ you save from not relying on the pool store anymore, now all you need is a TFP Supporter badge next to your profile name. :wink:

The badge is coming! Its on my to do list.
Alright!

dbtgallery.php

The Border Collie (dog on the left) can't stay out of the pool. She swims so smoothly. The brown dog, doesn't go in. She has fallen in a few times. However, she gets real excited when we swim..barks and barks and runs around the pool. Kind of annoying! Lol

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh so different in their reactions! The barker......you can train that out of her but it will take two people and a couple of weeks. Are you interested? I can write it out but it is a lot of typing so if you are not interested..... LOL

Kim:kim:

Kim,

Sure! I m always interested! We have been working with her and she is getting a lot better. I will be the first to admit she is one spoiled, and I mean spoiled Dog (Wife's fault lol). They both love to attack the water stream from a hose and the Kreepy Crawler hose...lol. They will stare at that thing, waiting for the tail to surface. They normally don't bother me when I m washing down the deck, but wife has a hard time watering the plants.

My Neighbor has a pool as well, and has 4 dogs. Two of his dogs are related to my two dogs. On some weekends, we just open our gates and let the 6 dogs run back and forth...It's a Blast!

As stated in an earlier post, I can check off the Badge from my to-do-list! AWESOME Site!

PS...Disregard that ugly fence...I already began replacing sections as I find time. Dang, that looks worst then in real life!

Joe

Patsy_Staring.jpg

Shimmer_Staring.jpg

FUN times to let the dogs enjoy both yards and each other! I bet it is a blast!

Okay for Ms.Barky-PLACE! Teach her to go to her PLACE when you want her to settle down and be quiet. It should be something that stays out there all of the time. Are they allowed on the furniture or do they have their own beds/towels out there?

Training to place:

-high value treats (Hotdogs for my dog)
-something to use as the PLACE

-Put treat on PLACE when dog is not looking.
-lead or lure dog to PLACE with a treat in your hand while saying place, place, place.......when she gets to the PLACE and eats the treat you give her and the one on the PLACE praise her "GOOD PLACE" and give her another treat!
-Do this several times so she knows that PLACE=where she gets YUMMY treats. (2 or 3 days depending on her brain power) You will know she has it when she runs to PLACE when you say the word.
-Next she will only get the treat if she lays down on the PLACE. The second she lays down have a treat party while saying "GOOD PLACE" over and over. This one should go a little faster once she figures out she has to lay down to get the treat. Once she runs to PLACE and lays down you know it is time to move to the next step.
-STAY on place=two people-one person sitting by PLACE with dog laying down on place.
-mom gets hose-dad says place with treats while dog is laying down on place-note NO water is coming out of hose. Baby steps.....do this until she will stay of PLACE without any one by her.
-next same as above but with water coming out of hose...............repeat with person and without person by her
-next is person in pool-same as with hose

What do you think? You might have to make sure the other dog is inside when you do this. You can teach both of them PLACE but it will be best to do it one at a time.

Funny story-my dogs are taught to "go to bed" and the "bed" is whatever I point at depending where we are at and what is available. I was folding the dog towels and blankets and my dog was wanting to play. I had a wash cloth (8"x8") in my hand at the moment. I threw it on the floor and told him to "go to bed". Now this is a 120lb dog! He looked at the washcloth, looked at me, sighed and got on "the bed" LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! The dogs are pretty well trained. Both know when to go to bed, one in the kennel, the other on her bed. I will give your suggestion a college try. Kind of do that already. When she starts barking I tell her to go inside (doggie door) and she will. Few minutes later I will let come back out. As soon as she starts barking, back inside for a little longer time. After a couple times she must realize she is missing the fun and really reduces the barking. I will try your way! Thanks!

Yeah that’s our biggest bad dog (or bad owner) behavior. We may try...maybe not! [emoji4]

Thanks Kim!

A teacher is a teacher. Be it Kindergarten kids or dogs :roll: Hot dogs for the dogs, Skittles for the kids=I win!!

You are already doing a good thing with sending her inside. I am glad she is already so well trained for that. Now if she barks while on her PLACE you can bring out my secret weapon-a squirt bottle with water in it. Bark=squirt while saying "hush" or "shhhhhhhh", something simple,fast,east to say. My cats response to to us making the sound of the bottle "sssppppiiiittttt"

The PLACE will help Mom when she is trying to water and does not want to "play" water battle with them.

So glad others might find this helpful. Remember this is baby steps.

Now everyone go give their dog a hug from me!!!

Kim,

She doing very well so far with making her go inside to her place. Barking has been reduced. Today will be a test, family coming by and possible 72 water temp swimming, provided the sun appears lol.

I can't shoot my dog with a water pistol..lol. However, we do use a plastic bottle with marbles in it to correct her jumping on people and allowing people to enter the home. Lol. Thanks again for the awesome suggestion. She loves to be sprayed with water hose so she may enjoy the squirt gun..lol. I may try it..if the wife isnt around..lol. THANKS

She is a smart one! Good job to both of you! The trick for today will be to "nip it in the bud". The second she barks she is sent to her place. She will figure it out. She IS going to test you, as any kid does :roll: so be ready.

I LOVE the marbles in the bottle method! A chain or metal nuts in a metal can also works well if you need a different sound.

LOL on loving to play with hose. I had one like that! For some reason the squirt bottle was different. It might be that is was done at the same time I did my "no" sound. It is a short, low sound. Not sure how to write it though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.