Getting a SWG (finally). Really need some advice.

Jun 2, 2016
New York
I really appreciate anyone's insight and/or advice for my SWG

Let me start in say that I have a considerable amount of shade above my pool; maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the day due to trees that very close to the pool. (long story). We live in NY and the pool is open May to September.

I have the following questions and welcome any other advice.

I am leaning towards Pentair, but based on my research most recommends double the size of your pool, which would be an IC60. My pool guy thinks it should be IC40.

So what Size SWG Do I Need for 34,000+ in-ground ground pool?

Is having a single-speed pump adequate?

Should I be concerned with possible damage to my Jandy Pro Series Gas Heater (assuming I maintain chemical levels appropriately)?

Definitely, the Pentair 60 if your pool is 34000 gallons. I have a 40 with 12,500. The higher capacity allows you to run the pump less and higher SWG output, ultimately saving electricity.

You can use the calculator to help determine the run time for your senario.
SWG Run Time Calculator

A single speed pump is fine. The speed has no impact on the SWG.

You don't show any automation in your signature. If that is the case and you don't plan on adding any automation, you may wish to consider the Circupool line of SWG's. The Circupool SWG gets good reviews here for those without automation.

The general rule of thumb is to size the SWG at least 2x your pool volume. A Circupool RJ60 or RJ60 Plus may fit the bill. DiscountSaltPools has been having a promotion allowing an upgrade to the next size SWG for $1. So you pay the price for a RJ45 or RJ45 Plus - choose the upgrade option and for $1 more get the RJ60 or RJ60 Plus.

You don't show any automation in your signature. If that is the case and you don't plan on adding any automation, you may wish to consider the Circupool line of SWG's. The Circupool SWG gets good reviews here for those without automation.

The general rule of thumb is to size the SWG at least 2x your pool volume. A Circupool RJ60 or RJ60 Plus may fit the bill. DiscountSaltPools has been having a promotion allowing an upgrade to the next size SWG for $1. So you pay the price for a RJ45 or RJ45 Plus - choose the upgrade option and for $1 more get the RJ60 or RJ60 Plus.

Yup its true i just did that got the rj-60 plus and so far could not be happier .

Here's a comparison of the Pentair IC40, IC60, and Circupool RJ60. Look at the table on the right of each screenshot at the hours needed to replace 2ppm chlorine each day at the various SWG %s. Up-down on the chart changes SWG%, and left-right on the chart changes ppm or chlorine lost per day.

Pentair IC40

Pentair IC60

Circupool RJ60

Last edited:
Also, from what I've read, Pentair only honors their full warranty if installed by a pro, DIY gets a 60 day warranty. Circupool gives full warranty for a DIY install.

They're really easy to install no matter the brand you go with, so if you're planning to install yourself, be cautious of the short warranty with Pentair.

I am considering automation. Anything to make my life easier at this point.

I'd recommend the 60, it's a great idea in all cases to be at least 2x sized. From my own experience I think my 4x sizing is a bit overkill but 2x gives you a lot more options for chlorinating, lower run times, and the cell will last you longer. Something else to consider I'm not sure if you have an inline chlorinator leftover but keep it. You can always subsidize with pucks to Raise FC (lighten the load on your SWG), raise your CYA (so you won't have to buy and add it) and they help lower PH (an issue many with SWG's have to add acid regularly). Use pool math to calculate your needs for 34K. Looks like 1-2 pucks a week in the summer. I use these all the time (because I had a huge bucket leftover) I rarely need to add acid or CYA.

On another note ff you really want to save money, I didn't see anyone mention the circupool SJ 55 which is running $750 creates 2.3 lbs per day (potentially a little more than the IC 60) is another option but won't help with your automation later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My two cents is definitely don't go smaller than the IC60. The IC40 will just be frustrating with that size pool. Great tip about hanging onto the inline chlorinator for vacations and other occasional needs.

You're probably already aware of this, but it might help to mention to your pool guy that SWG's can be set at various percentages. When set at 100%, they produce chlorine at their maximum ability. When you want less, you just turn it down to (for example) 70% and it will put out the same amount as an IC40. My PB said to me, "you can always turn it down to make less, but you cant set it higher than 100%, so get a big one."

What is the problem with pentair and not having automation? I have a timer for filter.

You mention possible automation in the future. Do you have water features or a spa? Do you want to be able to turn the pump on/off remotely and/or start up the heater? If not, what exactly do you think automation will do for you?

If you do plan to automate, it's always best to stick to the same brand name for automation, pump and SWG. I believe most all heater brands will work with most all brands of automation. Pumps and SWG not so much.

You mention possible automation in the future. Do you have water features or a spa? Do you want to be able to turn the pump on/off remotely and/or start up the heater? If not, what exactly do you think automation will do for you?

If you do plan to automate, it's always best to stick to the same brand name for automation, pump and SWG. I believe most all heater brands will work with most all brands of automation. Pumps and SWG not so much.

I will try to clarify. Why do you need automation for the Pentair SWG?

I will try to clarify. Why do you need automation for the Pentair SWG?

Pentair SWGs do not relay any useful information unless they are attached to an automation panel (the EasyTouch system) and, even then, the information you get is very basic. The IntelliChlor SWG has all of the drive and logic circuitry built into the SWG itself and only needs an external power supply. If you purchase an EasyTouch panel, you can specify that it comes with the power supply integrated into it. Otherwise you have to get a separate power supply box to hang on the wall. Without an automation system, you have to figure out a way of slaving the SWG power supply to your pump so that the SWG is only powered on when the pump is running (yes it has a flow switch but that is considered a safety device NOT an operating point). Because the IntelliChlor SWGs build all of their control circuitry on-board the unit, the replacement costs are very high, typically 1.5-2X what other replacement cells cost. So Pentair SWGs are really only a good choice IF you intend to have their automation system, ie, Pentair makes tightly integrated products.

If you don't want or need automation, then there are other cheaper options for SWGs that are much more DIY- and budget-friendly. CircuPool makes an excellent line of SWGs that are very cost effective and easy for DIY'ers.

When we wanted to make the switch to salt, I spent months searching salt water generators. Not having any automation, I found that I kept coming back to Cirrcupool. The product has run flawlessly, customer service is fantastic, and we couldn’t be happier.

Your pool is about the size of ours. We installed an SJ55, (makes more chlorine than an IC60) and find that we have to run the pump 13 hours a day at 100%.

Hope me this helps,
Bryan

Understood that you don’t want to lay out for a new pump. Would be interesting though to run the numbers. If your utility has a rebate (ours is $400) for a VS pump, and saved electricity over a one speed could pay back in a year to two and save hundreds each year going forward.

We have a SWCG producing 1.4 lbs per day for a 27k pool. In MD that’s ok. I’d get a 60k, 2 lb. producer per day.

I really appreciate anyone's insight and/or advice for my SWG

Let me start in say that I have a considerable amount of shade above my pool; maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the day due to trees that very close to the pool. (long story). We live in NY and the pool is open May to September.

I have the following questions and welcome any other advice.

I am leaning towards Pentair, but based on my research most recommends double the size of your pool, which would be an IC60. My pool guy thinks it should be IC40.

So what Size SWG Do I Need for 34,000+ in-ground ground pool?

Is having a single-speed pump adequate?

Should I be concerned with possible damage to my Jandy Pro Series Gas Heater (assuming I maintain chemical levels appropriately)?

I upgraded to an SWG system last year and after much research and help from the forum, I went with the Circupool RJ30 Plus for my 11000 gallon pool and I couldn't be happier. The customer service is great and they have full warranty with self install. I also decided to upgrade to a VS pump, after I worked out the numbers I figured it would pay for itself in a couple years. With the new SWG and the VS pump, my electric bill went down considerably after the install. I think it will take less than 2 years for the pump to pay for itself. I would highly recommend the Circupool RJ Plus series of SWG. Your gas heater will not be any more affected with the SWG then it was with what you were using before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.