Help! Tree in Pool from Bad Storm

Anemone

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2007
Northeastern Maryland
We had a terrible storm roar through here early this evening. :shock: Looks like it was straight line wind but it packed a wallop.

My pool took a hit. Lots of trees down. The top of one tree snapped and landed in our IG vinyl pool. I can't see any rips in the liner but most of the area is covered by leaves so really not sure. There was too much lightning to get into the pool to get a better look, then it got dark and electricity was out. It doesn't appear that we have lost any significant amount of water over the past 4 hours or so.

Any ideas how to proceed so that we don't cause any further damage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tha last picture shows that it could have been much worse. This huge tree uprooted and is covering my entire backyard, just on the other side of the pool fence Luckily, it didn't hit anything besides some other trees.

IMG_5679.jpg

IMG_5675.jpg

IMG_56841.jpg

I would get someone in the water with a pair of loppers and cut off the branches that are already in the water. If you cut them just below the water line it should cause the tree end of the branches to lift up a little and keep them from touching the liner. I would also try to cut the limbs in the water to a manageable size so they are not too heavy when you try to lift them out. I would cut as much away by hand as I could until the liner is out of harm's way. Fortunately it looks like just the very top of the tree is in the pool. Those branches should be thin enough to cut without too much difficulty. You may want to wear an inner tube if you have to be in the deep end while cutting. A buddy in the water to hold the branch being cut and take it away would be good too. Just don't let anyone try to drag the tree out of the pool unless they want to take responsibility for damaging the liner. You also may want to have some patching materials handy in case you find any leaks while you are in there. Good luck and be careful!

Well, I have had time to catch my breath so not quite so panicked now. Talked to insurance company, pool builder, multiple tree trimming services (who are swarming our neighborhood like bees to honey :mrgreen: ), neighbors, etc. Feeling better than last night. Waiting on quotes from several companies but pretty sure I have found a great tree service (excellent recommendations from several friends) to deal with all of our downed trees.

The pool does not look like it is losing any water but I know that some sneaky branch could be plugging a hole it created. Keep your fingers crossed that the liner is intact.

zea3 - Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Now to gather a few friends... :cheers: (Guess we better save the beers for after though)
barnyard - So how did you get the pass??? :scratch: I am obviously not living right or something....hmmmmm. :roll: I knew my wanton ways would eventually catch up with me. :slidehalo: lol :oops: :wink: Glad you came through unscathed!

Butterfly - You are absolutely correct. It was getting a little shady back there. I have a real hard time cutting down a healthy tree. Well....the're not healthy anymore so they will soon be gone! Hello :sunny:

Thanks for your suggestions and support. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.