SV+SVRS perpetual Clean Drain Before Restart

Mar 16, 2018
Texas
I’m a pool newbie and need some help.
I moved into a new house about 8 months ago.
The pool has a Pentair sv+svrs pump and constantly is throwing the following error,
“SVRS Alarm! Note: Clear Drain Before Restart”
The drains can be clean – skimmers just cleaned, pump basket too, and the bottom pool drain just fine. Still get the same error.
Right now, I’ve got the auto restart feature on the svrs set to true. Though I haven’t directly timed it, it seems like every 15 – 30 minutes, it is triggered and restarts.
I’ve been skimming forums for answers, and the only thing I can think of is cleaning the filter, but only one person seems to state this as a possible root cause. I’m at a loss.
My understanding is SV+SVRS pumps are overkill for a residential pool.
So my question is, what could be causing this and can I disable svrs?

Pool history, since I moved in:

• 1.5 months into ownership I had a suction side pipe break. – it was professionally repaired along with a post repair pressure test. Frankly, i believe this leak existed prior to me moving, it just got worse.
  • I didn’t see any of the above errors until about the time of the leak, and it was very intermittent.
  • Last month or so. Error persists and appears to become more frequent. Identify that my heater and the PVC on the intake had a crack. Both were repaired, including replacing a part on the heater.
  • Replaced O-ring on pump basket and set the auto restart feature to enabled.
  • Pool maintenance company the previous owner used has record of this being an issue for the previous owner about 2 years ago. *somehow* it was resolved.
  • Problem persists.
Setup

• 11,000 Gallon pool
  • Pump and equipment below pool water level
  • Pentair sv+svrs pump with a booster pump for the pool vac. Vac is pressure based
  • Pentair filter and pool chlorinator
  • Heater

Any help or insight would be appreciated

i,

I have the same SVRS pump and it does it to me any time the pump sees the slightest "surge" in water pressure.

There is no way to turn it off... I run my pump 24/7 and this is just one of the reasons I do that... At $20 bucks a month operating cost, it makes sense to me.

My pump only does it when the water is a little low at the skimmer.. Like when there is less than an inch of water at the skimmer's mouth.

It will also do it if the water is low and then waterfall turns on at the same time...

I don't like it, but I don't think the pump itself is faulty... just a poor thought-out design.

In your case I suspect it does not like the fact that your pool is below the pump...

When mine goes into the entrapment mode, it will sometimes come out on its own after several attempts.. But, just to speed things up I will hit reset on the pump's control panel, and then turn off the power to the pump for 30 seconds and then turn power back on...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no reason to have an SVRS pump, if you have split main drains..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.