Leaking 4-month old Triton II filter....what would you trying replacing first?

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
I have a leak coming from the top of my Pentair Triton II filter. I have removed it, inspected the o-ring (looked good), put some lube on it and put it back on tightly. It only leaks at high RPM so it's been there's a lot of pressure. Should I just try another whole top assembly first? My other concern is that it may be the actual threads in the fiberglass.

filter1.jpg

It only leaks at higher RPM's. I just tested after a backwash. I'm at 10psi at 2,200 RPM as a baseline. 3,350RPM at 25psi is where it starts leaking. I realize that I won't need to run it at those high RPM's very often, but should it still be able to the max of 3,450 with the IntelliFlo without leaking?

Thanks!

I would remove the top and make sure that everything was clean and smooth. Then lubricate the O-ring with silicone lube and reseal.

Clean the threads on the top and in the filter with a toothbrush to make sure that there is no sand in the threads.

Make some soapy water with dish soap and brush it into the filter threads right before reinstalling the top.

rawb,

Regardless of the pressure, it should not be leaking, esp if it's new. How old is your equipment / filter?

Someone above stated issues w this filter/threads and cap. If so, your installer/Pentair needs to replace it. you don't need either the aggravation or spend all the additional time on something that should be solid.

Not sure if this is suitable, but you can try some Teflon tape that is used in plumbing applications. just make sure you wrap the tape clockwise so the tear in the tape is not being pushed as your screw on the top. I would ck w manufacturer's literature to determine if Teflon tape is acceptable and does not require so much extra effort to remove again and cause damage - good luck, tstex

Thanks for all the input. My PB has already removed the top, inspected the O-ring (said it looks fine), lubed it and put it back on tight, but is still leaking at higher RPM's. I have contacted my online vendor, who then filed a warranty claim with Pentair and they are sending me a check for the entire purchase price of the filter. Can't beat that. So I'm trying to decide what to do next. I would hate to purchase an entire new filter if the top is my only issue...not to mention having to either transfer all the sand or buy new sand =/ Is there anything I need to watch out for or be careful of when removing the top to inspect it? I'm assuming it's pretty straightforward. There is so much play in that plastic tool Pentair gives you to remove the top that I don't even know if I can get it off (it's tight and couldn't last time I tried). Not sure why they wouldn't make that tool fit more snug on there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.