Makeover for 28 year old IG Vinyl Pool

May 25, 2016
Richardson, TX
Some of y'all had seen my leak thread a couple of months ago. The leak was detected, but it was too cold to repair at the time. That didn't seem to matter, since the water table rose from flooding and floated the bottom of my pool liner, which subsequently caused it to crack. At that point, we needed a new liner and it made sense to just remodel the old rectangle to modernize it a bit.

In order to do that, we first decided that we would forego the traditional vinyl liner and opt for the commercial PVC membrane (which is constructed on site) to allow us to change the shape of the pool. The biggest issue with the pool was that it had no stairs and only ladders. The decision was made to put stairs in the pool from an added splash pad. The splash pad will have 2 bubblers plumbed to them for increased modernization (This pool has no water features currently).

Last, but not least, we decided to replace the coping with some new contrasting Oklahoma flagstone. This would get rid of the track system with the ugly white plastic covering.

This project began by caulking lines to cut the deck and remove the coping, trench for the plumbing to the bubblers (they used 2" PVC in 2 separate lines to balance the bubblers rather than t them off), and removal of some flagstone to extend the pool back to include the splash pad.

I haven't seen any PVC membrane builds here yet so this should be interesting. Photos of current progress below. Will continue to add as time goes on.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

OH GOODY! You are going to do it! Sounds like you have a solid plan in place and good changes/additions to your pool!

I had not heard of the PVC membrane until you talked about it. This should be interesting! Keep the pics coming!

Kim:kim:

OH GOODY! You are going to do it! Sounds like you have a solid plan in place and good changes/additions to your pool!

I had not heard of the PVC membrane until you talked about it. This should be interesting! Keep the pics coming!

Kim:kim:

I’m interested. I have only seen pvc membranes bonded to concrete pool floors.
Will this be bonded to floor or just “pinned” down by water weight?
& how is the material being terminated at the water line.

I have only seen a couple pvc membranes, both were on disastrous concrete pools, which had wrecking balls as plan B.

I’m interested. I have only seen pvc membranes bonded to concrete pool floors.
Will this be bonded to floor or just “pinned” down by water weight?
& how is the material being terminated at the water line.

I have only seen a couple pvc membranes, both were on disastrous concrete pools, which had wrecking balls as plan B.
A layer of felt gets secured to the walls and floor and the liner is pinned down on top of it.

There are multiple ways to terminate it, but ours will terminate into a liner track. Our pool guy feels that’s best and gives the flexibility for other liners in the future (although this is like a 30 year solution).

Here’s a little update.

Yesterday, they filled the area behind the wall with concrete to give it some strength and a substrate to put the new coping stone on. They started cutting the rounded top off the fiberglass

Today, they’ll build the steps in the pool and finish the splash pad.

- - - Updated - - -

We’re going to pick out the coping this morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.