Starting up new plaster pool

Mar 30, 2017
Lexington, SC
Good afternoon.

I bought a house with a pool a year ago and the sellers laid some garbage paint over the plaster that rubbed off on everyone and made the water super milky and gross. So, I spent the off-season having it removed and new plaster put down. Well when the pool guys started up the filter they said that some of that old white paint water got pushed back into the new clear water and ever since the water has been milky af. Been two days of brushing filtering backwashing and it's only getting worse. Additionally, I added another jug of acid that they gave me bc the pH was at 8 and they said that might be the causing the cloudiness. Well I tested my pH this morning and it was at 6 and tested again an hour ago and it was still right around 6. I thought new plaster pool brought the acid up quickly for the first few days. Well I got nervous reading that acidic water can cause corrosion n such so I just dumped a little pH increaser into the pool to hopefully get it back up to 7.

The plaster was finished Saturday and the pool was full on Monday. The pump motor burned out so the water didn't circulate for 24 hours until they could install a new one but it's been running 247 since then. I have not added any chlorine bc the pool guys said to only worry about acid and start chlorine this weekend. Oh and I've been using a nylon brush with a few steel bristles in it. Should I use full steel?

All that to say, any advice on what to do? Is pH of 6 really bad for new plaster? Am I doing everything wrong? How to fix the cloudiness? I can't even see the bottom of the shallow end and it's ticking me off. The cloudy water was part of the reason I spent all this money to get new plaster done.

Thanks everyone.

I have not added any chlorine bc the pool guys said to only worry about acid and start chlorine this weekend.
That's not good. The last thing you want is an algae bloom starting. If your water temp is increasing as fast as ours, it won't take long. Yes, brushing new plaster will kick-up cloudiness, but now you need to ensure it's actually plaster dust and not algae. Here's what I would suggest first ... read the TFP Pool School - Start-up New Plaster page. Armed with that valuable info (no need to tell them where you got it :wink: ), begin to ask questions related to these basic start-up procedures. Your plaster contractor should have a warranty period, so they would be responsible for the outcome which is why you do want to check with them. Make sure to verify if they added ANY conditioner or ANY sequestrant to the water as well. I would highly recommend confirming the CYA level and balancing with the correct amount of bleach to prevent algae. See the Chlorine/CYA link below. Good luck!

That's not good. The last thing you want is an algae bloom starting. If your water temp is increasing as fast as ours, it won't take long. Yes, brushing new plaster will kick-up cloudiness, but now you need to ensure it's actually plaster dust and not algae. Here's what I would suggest first ... read the TFP Pool School - Start-up New Plaster page. Armed with that valuable info (no need to tell them where you got it :wink: ), begin to ask questions related to these basic start-up procedures. Your plaster contractor should have a warranty period, so they would be responsible for the outcome which is why you do want to check with them. Make sure to verify if they added ANY conditioner or ANY sequestrant to the water as well. I would highly recommend confirming the CYA level and balancing with the correct amount of bleach to prevent algae. See the Chlorine/CYA link below. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. it's actually been really cold here (in SC) since they plastered. A cold front came thru and there has been freeze warnings the last 3 nights. The pool guys said they were not concerned with algae right now bc of that. It moved out today tho. I have been looking at the new plaster start up page but it seems a lot of people don't strictly adhere to that. It says wait 72 hours to add chlorine. It's been a little over that now but only 48 since the water started circulating. I'll put in some trichlor pucks in a floater now.

Pool guys seem to think I must have a bunch of that old paint in my filter sand so it just keeps getting recirculated back into my new water. I am assuming I will have to deep clean or replace the sand in my filter and then replace the water in my pool. However it has only been a week since I got it replastered. How long after a new plaster job is it safe to empty the water from the pool so that I can put clear paint free water in again?

How long after a new plaster job is it safe to empty the water from the pool so that I can put clear paint free water in again?
I personally couldn't give you an answer on that one. But here's the deep clean link: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter. Do that before replacing sand as sand, unless really compromised by chemicals (i.e. floc) should last years upon years. And even though the water may still be chilly, I'd keep a good eye on the FC/CYA ratio as noted on the chart just to ensure algae has no chance. Have a nice weekend.

Wow your post reads like a "how not to start up a pool". New plaster decreases acid not increases it. The lower the pH, the more acidic. When you see 8, you add some acid and it lowers it. Try to keep it under 7.5. But you need a full set of tests with a good test kit like the TF-100 to continue as other factors affect pH.

Personally, I would be really upset with the plaster guy if you paid for all new plaster and no one thought to clean out the filter. Could have been in your lines as well. Before he did anything he should have thoroughly cleaned it all. You should never use anything but a nylon brush on new plaster. I don't think you should use a wire brush ever. And no vacuuming either until a month!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.