Is it possible my pool has NO control for overflow???

Jun 30, 2007
North Florida
It's been awhile and I've changed homes/pools.

I'm now in Florida with a 4-5-year-old gunite pool. It's been raining a lot and I don't see any way to drop the water level on this pool. Could that be possible? As far as I can see, the lines at the equipment pad are all accounted for and none of them look to be a drain line to get rid of excess water. Everything's manual, no automation.

I've looked inside the skimmer but I don't see anything unusual that might be a drain. The only thing that's different (to me) is there's a vinyl strip that goes all around the pool right underneath the coping but above the waterline tile. The coping looks to be pre-formed concrete sections with Kool-Deck or some such coating.

There's a long drain in the decking, but certainly, we're not supposed to let the pool overflow to that extent!!!

Any ideas where else to look? Do FL builders really build without an overflow line of some type??

Thanks for any help you can pass along.

I have seen pools with no provision for draining. What kind of filter do you have? Sand and DE filters should have a waste outlet that is used when backwashing, that can be used to drain the pool. Cartridge filters will often have a garden hose type faucet near the filter. If you don't have either of those, you will probably be able to setup a syphon using a garden hose.

Thanks Jason. I have a cartridge filter, so I'll take another look for a faucet of some type.

My previous pool also had a cartridge filter. The plumbing on my previous pool had a very obvious drain line with an on/off valve, so that's what I initially looked for. I asked the previous owners about this but got a deer-in-the-headlights look from them.

Separate overflow lines and autofills are not that common in Florida.
If you have a cart filter just open the drain plug at the bottom of the cart to drain excess water.
All the ones I have ever seen have them.

I am very surprised that my new pool has no type of overflow drain. Never being around a pool, I thought the term "main drain" meant the water would flow out when the pool got too full :oops: . Now, after having a ton of rain over the last couple of weeks and having to drain manually a half dozen times :grrrr: , I catch myself griping about a danged bathtub having an overflow and a pool doesn't! I just don't understand why a simple thing as an overflow is not part of all pools. I'm scared to go on a vacation or anything. I assume it is something that has to be put in when it is built or tough luck, am I correct?

Thanks!
Donna

Ha! My pool has an overflow built in, a small grate in the side of the pool... the pool inspector pointed it out to me. Too bad the lilne that it is attached to goes UP into the landscaping.

When we get big rains I have to drain manually from the hose bib at the cart filter. Lots of fun in the dark in the thunder and lightning.

Last big rain we let it overflow, just to see where it went. Gave me great peace of mind to see it flow away from the house, down the paved walkway and around the house to the street. But, boy it was close to overflowing on the other side, toward the house, as well.

Next hurricane I will be out there draining it down a bit before the winds pick up and while we still have power. I can imagine a few tree branches piling up on the draining side, until the water is forced to go the other way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.