Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ozone vs Combined Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Ozone vs Combined Chlorine

I have been reading and studying this awesome site for some time. I thought I read somwhere that Ozone would take out CC.
    Please let me know how to take out CC.
    Thanks so much.
    Houston, TX. / 18'x36' IG 23,000 gal / 18'x6' SunShelf / Radiant Fusion Blue Diamond pebble / 1 in floor suction / 2 skimmers / 4 jet returns / Clearwater OzonMAX OZ-50 / Cyclone 50 pre-filtration / Hayward C200S SwimClear CTG / Hayward Tristar 2hp VS Digital control / Hayward Tristar 2hp pump for 3 fountains & 2 bubblers / Aquanaut 450 / Taylor K-2006C / SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ozone vs Combined Chlorine

Reactions of Ozone With Monochloramine: Haag and Hoigné (1984) also have shown that ozone slowly oxidizes monochloramine to produce nitrate and chloride ions according to the following equation:
    NH2Cl + 3O3 --> 2H+ + NO3- + Cl - + 3O2
    http://www.absoluteozone.com/assets/..._treatment.pdf
    Ozone will slowly oxidize chloramines. However, your ozonator uses UV to generate the ozone, which makes very little actual ozone.

To produce enough ozone, you really need corona discharge.

In any case, ozone isn’t a good choice for outdoor residential pools. Ozone works best for high use indoor pools. Even then, the system is a lot more complicated than just injecting ozone into the line.

For an outdoor residential pool, UV or ozone is usually a waste of money and is usually counterproductive.

What CC levels are you getting?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info.
    CC-.2
    Houston, TX. / 18'x36' IG 23,000 gal / 18'x6' SunShelf / Radiant Fusion Blue Diamond pebble / 1 in floor suction / 2 skimmers / 4 jet returns / Clearwater OzonMAX OZ-50 / Cyclone 50 pre-filtration / Hayward C200S SwimClear CTG / Hayward Tristar 2hp VS Digital control / Hayward Tristar 2hp pump for 3 fountains & 2 bubblers / Aquanaut 450 / Taylor K-2006C / SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

0.2 CC is nothing to be concerned about. Does it regularly rise above 0.5? That is where we start to get concerned.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

5. Back To Top    #5

No its been staying at .2 for a long time.
    I just found that i may not have been getting the correct result in FC and CC.
    Turned off the speedstir and light and there was still some pink in the sample after i thought it was clear, added one more drop of R-0871 and then did my CC test and CC is at 0.

6. Back To Top    #6

CC at 0.2 or 0.5 can be ignored.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.