YES, another bonding question

uxbridgechris

Bronze Supporter
Jan 25, 2018
uxbridge, Ontario Canada
Fiberglass pool. concrete deck with no steel mesh, no steel ladders or hand rails. No steel or aluminum anywhere near the pool.

ordered the bondsafe 680 that sits in the skimmer. Is it as simple as running an 8 gauge bare copper ground to the ground lugs on my pump and heater?

Thanks.

Is this a new pool being built or one that is already built?

Canada has different bonding rules than the US. I am not familiar with all the regulations I Canada.

Minimum wire size for bonding in Canada is #6.

Leaving the deck around the pool out of the bonding system is not a safe thing to do.

Is this a new pool being built or one that is already built?

Canada has different bonding rules than the US. I am not familiar with all the regulations I Canada.

Minimum wire size for bonding in Canada is #6.

Leaving the deck around the pool out of the bonding system is not a safe thing to do.

In my province the Electrical Safety Athority says on their website that bonding is not required for fiberglass pools.

pool is being built now. I wanted to go above and beyond local code. but I am not using steel mesh in concrete.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180315-094716.jpg
    Screenshot_20180315-094716.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 101
To go above and beyond would require steel in the concrete. Bonding the pool without bonding it to the deck around the pool is not a good idea and is actually less safe than no bonding at all.

To bond the deck you will need steel reinforcement in the concrete. If you are doing a poured concrete deck.

In absence of rebar in the decking, the NEC states;
(1) At Least one minimum 8 AWG bare solid copper conductor shall be provided.
(2) The conductors shall follow the contour of the perimeter surface.
(3) Only listed splices shall be permitted.
(4) The required conductor shall be 450mm to 600mm (18" to 24") from the inside walls of the pool.
(5) The required conductor shall be secured within or under the perimeter surface 100mm to 150mm (4" to 6") below the subgrade.

Since Canada requires #6 AWG for bonding, I'd use the above guidelines and use #6 instead of #8. Since you're bonding the water, this should provide a complete bonding system.

I also believe that Canada also prohibits the bonding wiring and ground wiring to directly connect (though I may have that wrong). The NEC doesn't require a connection between the two, but doesn't prohibit a connection between them either.

So bond wire (6 gauge) in the slab vs using reinforcing mesh (because we all know steel mesh is a useless :)
Then my bondsafe 680 plate in the skimmer. all tied into panel ground.

On a side note, single strand 6 gauge is hard to find here. Whenever I've changed or upgraded my electrical panels I've always used a #6 ground but it has been stranded. that's all the supply stores carry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.