Bonding pool and grounding pump

Jun 14, 2017
Florida
So hey it's me again,
we had an electrician here to quote us some work to get power near the pool instead of the pool to the power.
We have 2 more come to compare.

Anyway we have an "intex" type pool and he said even this one has to be bonded?
So I called our local pool store that sells/installs the "real" AGP and he said that even those don't require bonding.
So now I'm more than confused. Who will I need to contact to find out about correct code information?:confused:

And.... can a Intex even be grounded? Does it make sense to do so?
I mean I could wrap the copper wire around the legs and do it but does it make sense on that style of pool?

Also what about the pump? We have a grounding screw but nowhere did it say to do anything with it.
My pump just sits on a cinder block setup and that's it. Do i run some copper wire from the pump into the ground?

Any advice is appreciated

Anyway we have an "intex" type pool and he said even this one has to be bonded?

So I called our local pool store that sells/installs the "real" AGP and he said that even those don't require bonding.

So now I'm more than confused.

Listen to your electrician and ignore the pool store. I will give the pool store employee the benefit of the doubt and say they are just misinformed.

ANY pool with water deeper than 42" is required to be installed according to Article 680 of the National Electrical Code.

HERE is a great overview by Mike Holt

This links to the 2014 version of the code, but it covers most everything.

I have been part of a similar thread...CJadamec had a great explanation.

Bonding Intex Ultra Frame - some better than none?

Basically Intex created a pool that didn't fall under NEC definitions. That pool then gained a lot of popularity. The NEC has since changed its wording to include most Intex style designs. Themain point being that Intex pools are not temporary in most cases. As can be seen on this forum many people have Intex pools up for many years.

In general NEC code only applies to new installs or major modifications requiering a permit.

Does a proper bonding system make your pool safer? Absolutely.

Do you have to install one now after the pool has been up for years and was never requiered by code when you built the pool? No.

Most Intex pools with Intex equipment really can not be bonded properly. Intex pumps are double insulated and have no bonding fittings. The Intex pool frames are almost always made so that they can't be bonded properly.

The trouble starts when you modify an Intex pool because you want it to be better and last longer. Again as seen on this forum many places people add pumps that aren't double insulated and other features that require bonding.

Edit- mclifford I really like that link you posted it's a great explanation of why you need and how to properly bond a pool. I may just steal that link from you.

The point I am trying to make is proper bonding makes the pool safer. Also if you made any modificatoins to improve the pool. For instance upgrading the pump and plumbing..etc.

OK thanks for the answers.
So i understand how to bond the circle around the pool.... but let me know if I get right here?
As far as i know the summer waves pool doesn't have any plastic inside the frame. The pieces are what I thought aluminum that is coated and then pushed together and secured with plastic pins coming from the top. But looking at it I see rust which would mean it is not aluminum?
Let's say I bond it either way...would it be a problem if I pond to a aluminum frame?????

So after that I bond 4 or more legs...make my circle around. Connect my water. And then?
I run to my screw on the pump....how do I continue from there? How do I bond/ground my pump?

I should also bond the ladder if it has metal correct?

Sorry if I ask stuff that was asked before but I couldn't find detailed info on how to do it right?

Glad for the links. Thx. Something to keep in mind when we get our "pool" concrete poured in a few years.

Thanks everyone

Bonding to Aluminum isn't a problem at all. It's still a conductive metal and therefore requires bonding just like steel does.

When you connect the bond grid (loop) to the pump lug, it's bonded. The ground is a different item and will be connected when the power wiring is hooked up (in your case, plugged in). If you have any other electrical items (heater, lights, swcg, etc.) in or near the pool, they get tied to the bond grid as well as the pump.

I'd run a bond wire from the loop to the ladder.

Ok makes sense to me. Thank you Bama Rambler. Maybe you can also help me with 2 more issues I might run into.

1. The SWCG we want to add is the Intex brand one. As far as I know there is nothing to connect the copper wire. But I think it's completely enclosed in plastic. How should I handle this? Leave it alone ?
2. Still not 100% sure about the pump location. We are thinking about moving it close to the house.
So NEC says everything within 5ft of pool wall has to be bonded and whatever connected to run the pool.
So pool is about 35 to 40 ft from the pump. Bonding it no problem. But what about the gutter and small metal fence? It's right there by the pump (within 1ft maybe less).
Both are 35+ft from pool but less than 5ft from pump. As far as I understand....it really just requires bonding of everything metal within 5ft from the pool not the pump. so I should be good not bonding the fence and gutter correct?

I'm sorry. I just try to make/understand the master plan before jumping into the changes.

Thanks again.

1. You are correct. There's no place on that swg to connect a bond wire. Just leave it alone. If you read the instructions it states that the swg is to be unplugged whenever anyone is using the pool.

2. You are also correct about this. Any conductive item within 5 feet of the pool wall has to be bonded, along with any electrical items connected to the pool. The fence and gutter spout doesn't need to be bonded even if it is close to the pump, as long as it's more than 5' from the pool wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.