Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CircuPool SJ40 couple of questions

1. Back To Top    #1

CircuPool SJ40 couple of questions

My husband has these questions about installing the CircuPool SJ SWG in our setup.

I am attaching photos of the equipment pad and plumbing.

The instructions say: "The cell should be located above the highest plumbing point, and raised at least 6" from the return line."

He is unsure of what is meant by "above the highest plumbing point." Does that mean ALL the plumbing, because if so then it doesn't make sense to him. As you can see, there is plumbing higher (in elevation) than where the current chlorinator is, after the solar heater plumbing. We were thinking we would replace the existing chlorinator with the SJ-40. Will that work?

The other question is what is the length of the wiring between the cell and the control box. To put it where the chlorinator is, it probably needs at least 10 feet of length.

Thanks for your help. I emailed discount salt pool and got no reply and figured Id get an answer here faster than calling the company.

D810089E-B292-4AE4-8826-7BFF57F64CF7.jpg
    5ABC353D-3C1B-4F10-A9D5-76BD2659A78E.jpg
    Sue
    Current Pool: IG Concrete / 11,000 gal. / Sand filter / Solar heat / Hayward CL200 / Screened / TF Testkit
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CircuPool SJ40 couple of questions

They are trying to make sure that the cell isn't energized but full of water but not flowing and therefore continuing to create hydrogen gas in the cell. I *believe* you can install it above the filter plumbing and satisfy this requirement, but I'm not 100%.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

They want at least 6" of straight pipe so the water will flow better through the cell. I believe the reason for raising it above the equipment is to prevent the pool water from flowing out of the pipes when the cell is out of the plumbing when it is being cleaned or inspected.

Install it where the chlorinator is and raise it up to the top of the filter if desired. You shouldn't have any problems with the length of wiring required at that location.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!
    Sue
    Current Pool: IG Concrete / 11,000 gal. / Sand filter / Solar heat / Hayward CL200 / Screened / TF Testkit
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

5. Back To Top    #5

i just installed MY RJ series, very happy so far. i agree and thing you should just put it where the chlorinator is, also if you have a variable speed pump it says to install the bigger side facing down
    New Plaster Feb 3rd, 2017, oval pool 13000 gallons, with 500 gallon attached waterfall Spa
    cartridge filter 5hrs/day, 1.5hp VSP, Skim Doctor 2.0, polaris 280 pool vaccuum
    LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit, Rola-chem Pool Autofill, circupool RJ35 SWG, k1766 salt test

6. Back To Top    #6

The SJ cell is completely different than the RJ cell and requires to be installed a certain way.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process