New motor installed but wont turn on.

Jun 1, 2015
Austin, Texas
I installed a new 1.5 hp motor on a pentair challenger and it wont turn on. It doesn't make any noise like it is the capacitor or even shorting out (breaker doesn't trip). I checked voltage with it on and it is receiving voltage to connections. Time clock is giving 125 volts per wire. There is an area where supply wires come into time box that is a little corroded an wire look slightly burned up. Motor shaft is freed up. I tightened them up and seems fine. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks

D,

When you test 220 volts, with the motor in the circuit, you never test one hot wire at a time... You need to test between both hot leads (L1 and L2) and ensure you have 220 volts...

Since it did not trip a breaker I would assume one of the two leads has no voltage on it. Testing one lead at a time, both will show 120 volts, even it one side of the 220 volts is missing because it feeds through the motor.

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you have 220V at the motor, and nothing happens, you have a dead (DOA) motor. Very rare, but it happens. Also verify from either the time clock or the relay that L1 and L3 show 220V. L2 and L4 should be energized (220V) when the relay is closed or the timer is "on".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.