high chlorine level

Aug 9, 2009
I'm a first time pool owner and made a possilble big mistake.
had the brilliant idea to blend granulated chlorine, ph riser, and shock in a glass jar, then add water to start the disolving process, in order to avoid the bleaching stains on the bottom of the pool. yup it began to react violently at which time I just threw the whole thing into the pool. so much for the comedy.
Well My tester only goes to a bright yellow which indicates a chlorine level of 5PPM.
Well it comes out RED. I'm assuming thats too high.
what do I do?
Its 92 out today and my 6 yr old wants to be in the pool.
which is a 12 by 32'' intex vinyl pool.
Help me

don't let jr get in the pool...please take a sample to your local pool store and have them test the water...then post it here and we'll try to help you out.

you'll need the following measurements

FC - free chlorine
CC = Combined Chloramines
PH
TA - Total alkalinty
CH - calcium hardness
CYA - cyanuric acid...aka stabilizer/conditioner

No pool store open today in our area, out of curiosity, what would a high level of chlorine do to you?
the pool doesnt seem to have a real high odor. was thinking about trying it myself.
btw i did the chemical dump yesterday, so its had 24 hours. but it still tests red and i didnt put in much more than usual,
I just did it all at once. Never again
btw I love your site. It will now be my pool bible

I think you need to brush the pool and run the filter a lot to get that all circulated.

What was the total amount of stuff you mixed? Was this just the amount you expected to put into the pool that day?

If you have some distilled water on hand, put a quarter cup of pool water and a 3/4 cup of distilled water, mix, then use that to test. Multiply by result by 4.

We probably need chem geek to tell us what the products of this reaction were!

You can buy a gallon of distilled water at the store. Pour 1/2 cup distilled water and 1/2 cup pool water into a container and stir. Use this water to test the chlorine level. Multiply the results by 2 to get the chlorine level. If it still reads off the chart try 1 cup distilled water and 1/2 cup pool water multiply the result by 3. The more you dilute the pool water the less accurate the result will be, but it will give you an idea how much chlorine is in your pool. You cannot use tap water to dilute with unless you are sure there is no chlorine in your tap water.

Edit- Since it is a small pool you could dump some water and re-fill if the chlorine levels are too high to swim in. Some people swim up to shock level, but shock level on my pool is 23 and I'm not comfortable with that for my family.

Oh, and be careful with those chemicals! I'd hate for you to be blinded by something blowing up in your face!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.