New variable speed pump

Apr 18, 2015
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm shopping for a new variable speed pump. Any recommendations? Repair place is recommending a Pentair 011056 VSF. Local electric utility is offering a $400 rebate for variable pumps. Repair place is quoting $1600 for full scope of removal and install. $1600 is net of rebate.

if I want the pump to supply both the spa, main pool and fountain effects, is it possible for 1 pump to power all of that and how do you control the output?

Thanks,
Ryan McKenzie

Ryan,

Sure, one pump can do it all, but not necessarily at the same time... When in the spa mode, the pump would most likely be running at a high rpm and might not be able to power much else. But in the pool mode the demand would be less so it could also power your fountains...

How is your current pad plumbed? How many pumps do you have now?

A couple of pictures of your equipment pad would help.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ryan,

Sure, one pump can do it all, but not necessarily at the same time... When in the spa mode, the pump would most likely be running at a high rpm and might not be able to power much else. But in the pool mode the demand would be less so it could also power your fountains...

How is your current pad plumbed? How many pumps do you have now?

A couple of pictures of your equipment pad would help.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. I'll take some pics and attach. Currently have 2 pumps but fountain pump plumbing froze up and has always overheated and cut off after running for 15 minutes.

Looking for a 1-pump solution. Why does spa mode require more pump demand than pool mode?

Thanks again for the input.

Ryan McKenzie

Ryan,

Being in the Spa mode by itself does not increase the demand, but most people want to have a lot of water flowing through the spa jets... the more flow (or force through the jets) the faster the pump needs to be running... In your case, a single pump may do both the pool or spa and the fountains, but I can't tell you that for sure... It is not normal to run the Pool and Spa at the same time...

So you had three pump, but now on have two... or you had two pumps, but now only one???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ryan,

Being in the Spa mode by itself does not increase the demand, but most people want to have a lot of water flowing through the spa jets... the more flow (or force through the jets) the faster the pump needs to be running... In your case, a single pump may do both the pool or spa and the fountains, but I can't tell you that for sure... It is not normal to run the Pool and Spa at the same time...

So you had three pump, but now on have two... or you had two pumps, but now only one???

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. Previous was 2 pumps (pool/spa, fountain). Wanting to go to 1 pump. I don't expect to need all 3 functions going at same time. I like the idea of running in spa mode with high Flow, pressure Nd bubbles! Sounds fun.

Thanks,
Ryan McKenzie

Here are pics of current setup. I want to eliminate 2nd pump and go to 1 variable pump.

What are the best variable speed pumps?

Ryan McKenzie
ddbb6898f1da9c6acb7cb7a87d0416c3.jpg
c994e140d223f9a176fe3a0a078ce4b9.jpg

Ryan,

Looking at your set up, I think you would be better off using a VS pump for the main pump and keeping your second pump for the fountain/waterfall..

I say this because your water feature pump does not pass water through your filter... If you were to re-plumb into a single pump system, all the water would pass through your filter which would seriously effect the look and volume of the water feature.

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy... I would install a 3 HP IntelliFlo (P/N 011018) pump for your main pump... That pump would work well for your pool and spa.. You could run it a low rpms for your pool and higher rpms for your spa...

They only thing wrong with the 011018 is that the control panel does not rotate.. So, standing at the pump basket, the panel faces away from you... You can get them that do rotate, they just cost more.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I almost agree with Jim. :)

I think you may be able to run all the stuff on one pump, depending on what the water features are, what flow rate they need, and whether you run them with the other functions. Let us know as much as you know about all the plumbed equipment and maybe some of us can give a better idea if it'll work. Hopefully our pump genius Mark (Mas985) will see this and respond.

Opposed to Jim, I'm biased against Pentair, only because of their warranty rules. You only get a 60 day warranty if you choose to install their equipment yourself. If you want the full warranty, you have to have a "pool professional" install it.

Just make sure that you choose a pump that is EXACTLY on your utilities rebate program. And BTW: Jandy has a new pump out that is really, really nice and super quiet even at high speed.

Ryan,

All good points, but I am going w Jim on this one...

A Pentair for sure for your pool and spa. Then I would recommend a single speed low rpm to run your fountain. You need to do the math on the distance from equip pad to water feature, then do the math on flow rate/distance and what you want.

Since you do not have automation, you can do w any VSP, but stay way from the Hayward ecostar[less]. The drive/controllers are known to be defective and this makes the pumps overall reliability almost ZERO. We just went to Phoenix for spring break and if someone had not come over to check the Hayward pump on Wed, Thur and Fri.m y pool would be deep green. It failed again and someone had to go to the pool panel and again flip the breaker to get it to work again.

To conclude, you can get one pump to run your SPA, then your POOL&WATER FEATURE, but as noted, you do not want your water feature flow going thru your filter, esp when you have the pool pump doing it too. Also, if one of your pumps fail, you can always run the other to circulate the pool. Also, single speed pumps are for sure the most reliable and the lowest cost, so you can diversify your ROI and not just put it all into one pump. But, your pool, your money, but either way, I would for sure stick w the Pentair or Jandy of they have a new and reliable VSP.

Finally, as Jim stated, make sure your pump electronics pad faces you, esp since your pad faces a wall and there's a lot of plumbing and other involved...you do not want to be turned around, more so since you do not have automation and will not be able to control pump from remote, but only from the pump...good luck, tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just make sure that you choose a pump that is EXACTLY on your utilities rebate program. And BTW: Jandy has a new pump out that is really, really nice and super quiet even at high speed.

Poolgate, you do not mention in your info what type of pump you have; or did I miss it? it is the jandy pump you are referring to Ryan in the thread or other? thanks

Poolgate, you do not mention in your info what type of pump you have; or did I miss it? it is the jandy pump you are referring to Ryan in the thread or other? thanks

I have the Jandy 2.7 (3) HP variable speed pump. The one I am talking about is a new one however, I saw it at the pool store being demo'd when I went in last week.

Awesome comments folks. Thanks a ton. I'm lookkong at having installed, not DIY. I'm chicken. I'll work up to it! I.e. how do you cut the PVC, etc?

My fountain effect is very basic. 2 horizontal slots that are about 2 feet long and positioned equidistant along the lengthy of the pool. The run is similar to some of the pool return lines, but I don't plan to run them all too often, just in special circumstances, i.e. company over, lots of kids playing, bbq with friends, etc.

Hope that clarifies.

I'm getting bids for a Pentair and Hayward VSP, in range of $1200-$1600. This is net of rebate and install, removal, etc. Hayward pump has 4yr warranty. Not sure on Pentair.

Ryan McKenzie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.