Baxley, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I'm gonna use a Raspberry Pi to collect and remotely display some info to monitor my pool. I'll end up monitoring pump on/off, water/air temperature, salinity, and pH. Gonna start with just whether the pump is on and off and while researching how to detect electrical voltage/current, I remembered that my Circupool SWG does have something to make sure the water is flowing. Looking at the connector for the flow switch, am I correct in assuming its just a simple switch and the SWG is just checking for continuity between the 2 wires that are in the RJ11 cable? I'm thinking I could just use a phone splitter or splice into the wires and have the Raspberry Pi also check for continuity. This would also assure me that the pump is actually running, vs something frying and its getting electricity but not actually rotating.

Checking for continuity requires applying a voltage for the switch. 24 volts is pretty common in industrial stuff, and it's likely higher than the 3.3 or 5 volt input for the Pi. Be sure to see what voltage it sends to the flow switch before hooking anything up. You could always use an opto-isolator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.