Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Making a Raspberry Pi pool monitor

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Making a Raspberry Pi pool monitor

I'm gonna use a Raspberry Pi to collect and remotely display some info to monitor my pool. I'll end up monitoring pump on/off, water/air temperature, salinity, and pH. Gonna start with just whether the pump is on and off and while researching how to detect electrical voltage/current, I remembered that my Circupool SWG does have something to make sure the water is flowing. Looking at the connector for the flow switch, am I correct in assuming its just a simple switch and the SWG is just checking for continuity between the 2 wires that are in the RJ11 cable? I'm thinking I could just use a phone splitter or splice into the wires and have the Raspberry Pi also check for continuity. This would also assure me that the pump is actually running, vs something frying and its getting electricity but not actually rotating.
    Pool Stats: 18' X 48" Vinyl AG, 6,700 gal, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1hp and Easy-Clear C400 cart, Circupool RJ-45 SWG, Dolphin S300, My AG Pool Mods
    Helpful Links: Pool Logger, PoolMath, TF100 test kit, Recommended Chemical Levels, Ext Test Kit Directions, FC/CYA Chart, Chlorine Date Code Calendar, Polyfill Iron Removal, Borates Drop Test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Making a Raspberry Pi pool monitor

PM lovemyazpool as he has a post up on hackster.io all about his build.

DIY automation build - Page 2
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Making a Raspberry Pi pool monitor

Checking for continuity requires applying a voltage for the switch. 24 volts is pretty common in industrial stuff, and it's likely higher than the 3.3 or 5 volt input for the Pi. Be sure to see what voltage it sends to the flow switch before hooking anything up. You could always use an opto-isolator.
    Hot tub: Indoor Intex 28409E "Six Person" inflatable. 290 gallons. Taylor K-2006 test kit with Taylor 9265 Speedstir and TFT CYA test. Using dichlor/bleach/borax/muriatic acid.