Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Constant year-round SWG settings even in Florida?

1. Back To Top    #1

Constant year-round SWG settings even in Florida?

I just spoke with a friend who had a SWG pool in my neighborhood in Florida for many years. He had the pool converted to SWG and the converter suggested that he leave the controller set at 50% and the pump running 8 hours every day year-round. He told me he did that for many years and never experienced any issues. It seems to me that the controller setting must have been adequate for summer use but his FC must have been sky-high in the winter time. That and his FC was probably often higher than desirable during the swimming season. Is there a major downside to this approach except for excessive energy use during the winter?
    Gunite free-form pool in Port Orange Florida with original white plaster lining. Capacity about 12,000 gallons. Pool age about 18 years and fully enclosed by screen room. Using liquid chlorine bleach (10%) dispensed by hand. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Constant year-round SWG settings even in Florida?

This is why they suggest to oversize your SWG. I run mine a max of 4 hours at 20% in the summer and 2-3 hours at 10% in the winter
    -Tim-
    Pool: 86 gunite/plaster screened IG 12K 14' X 29', Hayward 120 sq ft cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWCG, Hayward Poolvergnuegen autovac,
    Heat: 280 sq ft Ultrasun solar Panels, Pentair Solartouch Ctrl, (solar cover and reel)
    Tests: Taylor K-2006C & K-1766 w/ speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Constant year-round SWG settings even in Florida?

I'm sure that is overkill for half the year.

If one wanted to cut down their electricity costs running the pump less but the SWG % higher would work too. But keep in mind that SWGs have a limited lifespan and that if one uses them at higher % for more hours, its going to require a cell replacement sooner than necessary.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard