Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gray spots on new plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Gray spots on new plaster

Had the plaster removed on January 4th, plaster was done the next day. Spa jets were installed incorrectly and leaked at least 100 gallons a day into the gunite for a couple of weeks. Now all these gray spots have appeared on the floor and walls. About 12 in the spa and 50 in the pool. Not sure if it's related to the leak or not. Any ideas?
    I tried scrubbing them with a chlorine tab and a pumice stone. Neither made a difference so I think it's coming through from the back side. And you can see in one of the pictures the plaster flaked in one of the spots.
    20180302_142756.jpg20180302_142746.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gray spots on new plaster

You can also crush up some cheap, white vitamin C tablets in a sock and let it sit on one of the spots.

I would call the plaster person that holds the warranty card to see what they have to say.
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I think I would be very concerned. I'd say this may have been applied incorrectly. Hopefully not a lowest bidder fly-by-night outfit.
    29k Gallon Free Form Gunite Pool, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 1 vacuum pressure port, 2 skimmers, Main drain, Jandy 2.7HP VSP, Jandy JXI400N Gas Heater, Jandy CV340 Cartridge Filter, FusionSoft 1400 SWG, 2 Watercolors LED, iAqualink with PDA, Sheer Waterfall, Rock Waterfall, 9' Deep End w/Diving Board, SunDeck, Polaris 9650iQ, TF-100 - Pool Build - 2017 - Google Photos

4. Back To Top    #4

They have no explanation other than maybe it was a bad batch of plaster. After two months and beginning the process of filing a claim against their bond the company finally agreed to replaster the whole pool and spa. My worry is since they didn't know the cause, what's to keep it from happening again?

5. Back To Top    #5

It looks like the plaster might be really thin in those spots.

Maybe the plaster is too thin in general.

Maybe there was some lumps at the spots that were removed and then just lightly troweled over.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Will they do a full chip out?
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit