Which new Hayward VSP Pump Would be Best for my Pool Setup?

Apr 11, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'm looking to replace my existing single-speed 1.5 HP/3,400 RPM/1.1 SF pump motor with a brand new VSP pump from Hayward. The main reason for the replacement is to reduce energy costs long-term. Also, Ohio AEP is giving a $350 rebate on new VSP pool pumps right now and I want to take advantage of that.

The biggest challenge I have is figuring out the correct sizing for the new pump. The pool was installed in 1985 but we bought the house only last year, so I have no idea how the underground piping is configured (#of 90 degree turns, depth of piping, etc.) - this is what is making it impossible for me to accurately determine the feet of head, which seems to be integral to figuring out best pump size.

I have narrowed down my choices to two Hayward pumps:
SP3202VSP TriStar (230v)
SP2603VSP Super Pump (230v)

Here are some other details on my pool setup:
- distance of 60 linear feet from middle to pool to the pump
- 2 skimmers
- 1 main drain
- 5 return jets
- pool is kidney shaped, about 43'x21' in total width/length
- deep end is 9'; shallow end is 3.5'
- Hayward sand filter (model S44T) - says on nameplate that "filtration design flowrate" is 62 GPM

MY MAIN QUESTION: Is the SP3202VSP Tristar "too big" of a pump for my setup?

I prefer the SP3202, but don't want it to cause problems because I oversized.

Thanks in advance for any insight and suggestion.

-Mark-

Mark,

Variable speed pumps really should be called Variable horsepower pumps.. You only use the HP you need. You really cannot compare them to a single speed pump of the same HP...

Kind of like driving your car through a school zone... Your car may have 200 HP, but that does not keep you from driving it slow. And when not in the school zone, you can stomp on when you want.. :p

For reference I have had a couple of 3 HP IntelliFlo pumps running on two pools with 1.5" plumbing for at least four years with absolutely no issues...

And bigger VS pumps actually run just slightly more efficiently, at low speeds, than smaller VS pumps.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for the replies.

GSREL: Yes, I do plan on integrating home automation into all of the my pool components in due time. That is one reason I was interested in the 3202VSP as it works with Omni Logic.

My newest concern now is plumbing pipe sizing. It appears I only have 1.5" pipes going into my current pump and the 3202VSP has a 2" input port (at least I think I understood that correctly). Would it be possible to get an adapter so I can convert from 1.5" to 2"? Would that screw up the efficiency of the pump? If I updated all of the suction side above ground pipes to 2", would that have any negative effect or even work at all?

Thanks for the replies.

GSREL: Yes, I do plan on integrating home automation into all of the my pool components in due time. That is one reason I was interested in the 3202VSP as it works with Omni Logic.

My newest concern now is plumbing pipe sizing. It appears I only have 1.5" pipes going into my current pump and the 3202VSP has a 2" input port (at least I think I understood that correctly). Would it be possible to get an adapter so I can convert from 1.5" to 2"? Would that screw up the efficiency of the pump? If I updated all of the suction side above ground pipes to 2", would that have any negative effect or even work at all?

Mark,

What I was trying to say with my comments about having a couple of pools with 1.5" plumbing is, it just makes no appreciable difference. Both of these pumps are 2" models.... One equipment pad is all 2" above ground and all 1.5" under ground and back to the pool.. The other pool is all 1.5" except the pump itself is 2" with 1.5" to 2" adapters... I can't tell any difference in operation between the two of them...

If you plan on getting automation, you need to be thinking ahead and getting the pump that will work with your future automation system..

Make sure that your new pump comes with pump unions or that you buy pump unions.... They look like this.... Custom Molded 21063-200-000-2PK Union Threaded 2 inch MPT x 2 inch Slip for IntelliFlo, 2 Pack

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for your insight on the pipe sizing. It sounds like even though I have 1.5" plumbing, I should still be able to get a new pump that is a 2" model using an adapter. That makes me feel much better about the project and being able to buy whatever pump I want.

For the home automation, I was thinking of getting a Z-Wave compatible device that I can control the pump with Alexa commands and/or remotely. Something like this: GE Z-Wave Wireless Smart Lighting and Appliance Control, Indoor/Outdoor, Works with Amazon Alexa

Jim,

Omni Logic is very intriguing, but it may be overkill for our simple setup and certainly more pricey than that Z-Wave control from GE. But I do want to keep open the option to use Omni Logic, so getting a new pump that works with it is a good start.

Thanks for your comments.

-ms

I m not sure how robust your automation will be in the future, but I signed on for a new setup from Hayward called VS Omni. It is packaged with a pump. It will control 4 items. Mine will be set to control the pump, heater, pool lights and a valve actuator for the deck jets.

As Jim mentioned in another post, the only drawback is it does not integrate the SWCG.

VS Omniâ„¢ Variable-Speed Pumps with Smart Pool Control | Hayward Residential and Commercial Pool Products

I wanted to automate, but didn’t need a massive setup. I will use Z-Wave for the landscape lights.

Hope that helps.

18x36 vinyl liner , Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin 400 robot. Build date: Spring 2018.

Todd - I came across that VS Omni the other day and I'm intrigued. I figured out that they only sell them in brick-n-mortar, so I haven't yet called around for pricing. But I'm open to the idea if the price fits.

As I mentioned initially, I found an online retailer that is selling the 3202VSP for $772 with free shipping, minus a $75 rebate from Hayward and a $350 rebate from my energy company up here in Columbus. So I'm looking at a brand new VSP pump for $347. At that price, I can afford to piecemeal a decent home automation solution as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My VS pump upgrade is going to include the automation. Hopefully it will prove itself useful not including the salt water generator.

18x36 vinyl liner , Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin 400 robot. Build date: Spring 2018.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.