Preparing the pool for 3 weeks away

Jun 11, 2017
Sydney
Hi,

I'm thoroughly enjoying managing my pool now that I know what I'm doing - in 100% thanks to this forum.

We're nearing the end of summer here in Australia and my pool has really stabilised and has been parked on these levels for the last 4 weeks without adding anything at all:

FC: 5.5
CC: 0
CYA: 70
PH: 7.8
TA: 60

SWG running at 40% for 5 hours total a day. The FC hovers between 5-6ppm depending on daily weather and amount of sun hitting the pool.
I'm using a sock in the skimmer basket, emptying it once a day, but its only after lots of wind that it really *needs* emptying. Could other go for 2-3 days between emptying. Also scooping out the odd leaves from the bottom of the pool daily. We don't have a pool cover. I run the AX10 suction cleaner once a week to pick up the fine grit/leaves.

My Question:
We are planning to go on holidays for 3 weeks. We'll have a house sitter scooping leaves out of the pool every few days and emptying the skimmer basket (I think I'll take the sock out though just to make sure it doesn't get too blocked and cause suction issues) and I won't ask them to run the suction cleaner just in case they get the process wrong of purging air from the hose etc

Do you think I should do anything before we leave? Is there any harm in lifting FC to shock levels the day before we go just to have some 'insurance'? I don't expect the house sitter to be as religious as i am about getting leaves out :)

any advice appreciated,
Pete

Sounds like you have it in great shape. That's really helpful for an absence :)

Is there an overflow, or is overflow OK? That's about the only thing I can think of not mentioned. If it gets too full it might not skim, then there will be more stuff on the bottom. But even worst comes to worst, you just SLAM it back into shape anyway. The house-sitter should be shown how/why to top it up, if needed.

I envy your stable pH. I'm going away for a few weeks and have to leave pre-measured acid for them to add, but they're all plaster pools.

I would raise it to shock level before leaving as well. I turn the SWC up a wee bit as well.

We're lucky down here that our SWGs shut off the pump if there's lack of flow, so that takes away a worry.

I would probably leave them some acid to add half way through, but I'm overly paranoid about scale. When I took over my daughter's pool it was scaled and was painful to remove, so I'll never let water get that way.

Have a great holiday!

Is there an overflow, or is overflow OK?

No - I don't have an overflow. If it overflows it'll just make its way under/over the tiles in places i'd imagine and then end up out on the grass - so not like it'd be a massive disaster. In saying that I've just had to backwash the filter to drop the water level a few inches after a lot of rain - so thats a good reminder, will have to leave instructions for that, and topping up if needed. Off now to research overflows - I imagine that is something that has to be thought of when installing the pool, so maybe we'll just have to live without that feature...

Thanks for the other tips!

Hopefully it won't be needed, but yeh, good to know if needed. Overflow is normally fitted during the build, and not real critical other than skimming provided the condition is not prolonged. Glad I could help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.