People tec pool with cracks

Mar 12, 2018
Ca
We’re in escrow and had no idea the pool had cracks, perhaps it’s because we went to the house after work everyday after 5 and the sun was in west sky however we went today earlier and noticed several of these on the bottom of pool. Is this a faulty coating or is there a crack in the pool? From your experience would like to know anyone’s
d937f8a0d4fb062ab6e9acc101922ddb.jpg
e740e31c653e062e5b8e62004b60bfcb.jpg
114166dfde5c3d99aae4b0622e2b2c60.jpg
thoughts and approx cost of repair if this is so, seller is not moving on anything that needs repaired and this scares me since we have a lot of others to do.
4a69e2f433ab9b92a0188f69fb597bfb.jpg

Did you have a home inspector? Did he do a write-up on the pool? Are you getting a home warranty? The crack is there for sure. Hopefully it is just in the plaster. Does it leak? New plaster runs anywhere from $5k to around $15k depending what you get. How old is the pool?

thank you for this info, we have the appraiser coming by today but no, i didn’t pay for home inspection because we know house needs repair and we are going to have to put money into it, right now we’ve used all our resources and not a penny left so that’s why we are worried about this now, no home warranty either :/

It's almost definitely through the gunite. You can putty the crack to stop any leaking, but you might want to have a contractor advise you on what options you have for remediation.

Typically, a structural crack indicates that the pool is settling.

It might stabilise or it might get worse.

Does the pool look out of level anywhere?

The water level should hit the tile at the same elevation all around. Check for anything out of level.

thank you for this info, your awesome! We will check that I just have one more question, The waterfall coming off the rocks seems to keep accumulating a pretty good puddle all the way around the backside, And there’s really no way to get underneath it without taking all the rocks apart is there? We are considering adding a Warranty now also

It's almost definitely through the gunite. You can putty the crack to stop any leaking, but you might want to have a contractor advise you on what options you have for remediation.

Typically, a structural crack indicates that the pool is settling.

It might stabilise or it might get worse.

Does the pool look out of level anywhere?

The water level should hit the tile at the same elevation all around. Check for anything out of level.

8ea7be889079af4132e3e5c624aa96a7.jpg

The crack can be repaired using staples and injected adhesive. However, if the pool is settling, it won't last.

In the case of settling, you might need a geotechnical engineer.

In many cases, you can patch the crack with pool putty and it will be ok for a few years.

It's always difficult to tell if the crack will continue growing or if it was just a one time thing.

A home warranty absolutely will NOT cover any pool repairs that are structural. They will barely cover existing equipment and often have very well-defined exclusions that will limit their coverage to all but the most basic issues (replace a pump motor, fix a leaky PVC joint, etc). Even when you do have a valid claim, they will find every excuse in the book not to cover it and then your left hanging and have to pay the service fee to the contractor that came out to look at the problem.

If the seller is willing to throw in a home warranty as part of the deal, so be it. But I wouldn’t purchase one on your own. They’re often not worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you have a home inspector? Did he do a write-up on the pool? Are you getting a home warranty? The crack is there for sure. Hopefully it is just in the plaster. Does it leak? New plaster runs anywhere from $5k to around $15k depending what you get. How old is the pool?

It says that it's cause cracking due to contaminated sand that they used and the waterfall is leaking

How old is this pool? Is the original pool builder still in business?

Depending on the pool’s age of construction and what warranty was offered by the original pool builder, a crack in the shell may still be covered. When my pool was built, the PB offered a 25 year warranty on the integrity of the gunite shell. The warranty is transferable (for $250 dollars) and it holds even if the PB goes out of business (warranty is then covered by Arizona ROC).

I think exploring all warranty options is prudent, especially any that might still be valid for the pool. But I respectfully disagree that a home warranty "isn't worth it," even if it isn't going to help with the pool situation.

First, home warranties are often included in the purchase of a home, paid for by the seller. I'm surprised your realtor didn't fight for this. I renew my warranties on my rental properties and they rarely don't pay for themselves each year (sometimes many times over). My best example is the warranty on a unit that had an old heater/ac unit. It went out, and while the warranty didn't cover every expense of the repair, they did cover all but $1800 of an $8000 new hvac unit!

More to the point: the owner, and the owner's realtor, should have disclosed that pool crack to you. The owner surely knew about it. The realtor should have included in the paperwork his/her own general inspection of the property and that, too, should have disclosed the crack to you. So something fishy is going on here. You mentioned there were a lot of things to repair, and the seller is not willing to negotiate. That's fine, that's not unheard of. But if this guy is willing to try and hide such an expensive and obvious disclosure to you, then you might be, um, sorry, foolhardy to think that this is the only thing he's going to be hiding. Anywhere from bad/illegal repairs to known faulty construction to who-knows-what. Was the house freshly painted? Can be a red flag, as it is an excellent way to hide all kinds of things.

The same property I described about the hvac was hiding a $30K plumbing replacement project that has since necessitated numerous repairs. Because I live in a small town, the plumber I used for the stop-gap repairs was very familiar with the property and had worked on the plumbing many times, and advised the previous owners, years before, that the plumbing was shot and needed to be replaced. No disclosure. I decided not to pursue legal action (it would be all very hard to prove) and do the repair myself, for about $3K in materials. Plus, I had the assurance of it being done correctly (by me!).

How old is the house? How much in love with it are you? How prepared are you for a money-pit scenario, which is already unfolding itself in front of your very eyes? Sorry, a little tough love here. Maybe you'll be offended, or maybe you'll appreciate hearing this? If you're in escrow, I doubt very much you can't still call all this off with no money lost (save the inspection fee).

Is this house such a deal that you can afford to potentially be repairing it for years to come? You've already said you're strapped. How many hidden problems is it going to take to get yourselves into real financial trouble?

I'd double down on inspections and have more things checked. Roof for one? Did your home inspector do the typical walk around and fill his report with legalese to the effect that he wasn't able to inspect this or that and you should pursue a more thorough inspection for such things? My report was filled with those types of liability-escaping clauses. Some of these guys are just plain lazy and rely on cleverly worded contracts to keep themselves out of future troubles. But at least my guy crawled up into the attic, up on the roof, etc. Did yours? Mine still missed several very expensive repairs, and those on a 5-year-old house! Something I do for new purchases is take a trip to the building dept. Have them pull all the records on the house. Sanitation dept, too. Any county/city dept that maintains records on residences. I uncovered a $20K septic system repair need on a pending property that was not disclosed otherwise, and walked away from the sale. It later stayed on the market for many months, and finally sold later for about $50K less than my realtor offered! The seller is messing with you, and holding out hoping you're going to cave. Have you threatened to walk if he doesn't discount for repairs? How else will you know what he is actually willing to pay for? I know the CA market is tough. Were there multiple offers? Are you so sure someone else is willing to buy this place at the price you've offered?

Realtors, sellers, inspectors, they're all supposed to be, to some degree, on your side in terms of understanding what you're getting into. But they all have inherent conflicts of interest. You have to proceed as if you're on your own (which, for the most part you are)! I forget the term for it, but it's common enough to have one. Refers to the state that buyers get into during escrow, causing temporary blindness to things that would otherwise be obvious.

IMO, you should think long and hard about this purchase and proceed with great caution. Ask for an extension on the escrow to investigate further. At the very least, insist on a warranty paid for by the seller. Buy it yourself if you have to. I know this is not what you came to TFP for, or what we do here, but I felt I should say something. Again, sorry to be so rough on you...

Good luck!

Dirk has made an excellent post with great advice. You make your money on a house when you buy it, not when you sell it ;) I know its hard to remember that if you fall in love with a particular property.

With that said, I bought a foreclosure that I loved...and ended up winning on the ROI front. But not until I'd hired several folks, including a hydrogeologist, and set aside a big chunk of cash for remediation. In my market conditions, I lucked out and the value doubled in six years. But right now values are high so proceed with caution, and at the very least, pay for some serious due dilligence. If the pool is structurally dysfunctional, your only options ultimately will be to repair or abandon, and it's quite expensive (and heartbreaking) to fill in a pool.

I don’t know how deep your in yet.. but a home inspector won’t be equipped with inspection equipment..
When I do a pre-sale inspection, a hydrophone & pipe mic is a must. (Providing the inspection was not sold as a “visual.”)
These tools allow a non invasive assessment..

Have you considered paying a pool company to qualify the pool & the inspector’s report?

Swampwoman has added a very important point! My friend, who bought years ago when the market was high-ish, even after all this recent upswing, is still upside-down on his loans. And that doesn't count what I guess to be the six-figure repair/improvement expenses he and his wife put into the place. So he can't sell. He can't move. He can't even rent it to cover the mortgage. And even if he walks away (short sale), the IRS can still claim back taxes, something to do with capitol gains on equity he used, I forget exactly what he did (I know, right?). He'll have to probably wait several more years to get away from the loan, assuming our current bubble doesn't burst first. He'll never see that six-figure investment again. Think about that! All that money, all the work he did himself... poof! You're already buying at a point along the roller coaster market value curve that is not ideal investment-wise, and by adding on expected and unexpected repair costs, you have to be prepared for the possibility of either living there forever, or walking away at some future point with little or nothing (or even debt) to show for all your time and money invested.

Sorry if this is insulting, and maybe you've got this all considered and figured in to the purchase price. Just playin' devil's advocate for ya...

I don’t know how deep your in yet.. but a home inspector won’t be equipped with inspection equipment..
When I do a pre-sale inspection, a hydrophone & pipe mic is a must. (Providing the inspection was not sold as a “visual.”)
These tools allow a non invasive assessment..

Have you considered paying a pool company to qualify the pool & the inspector’s report?

In my case, the building dept visit revealed the potential of the septic problem. So I ordered an additional septic inspection by a septic guy who sent a camera down the pipe and found the $20K problem, something the home inspector didn't/wouldn't/couldn't have found. $400 saved me $20K. So PoolguyinCT and I are saying the same thing, I think. Before you get in too far, make sure you know ahead of time what the repair costs are going to be (for both house and pool). You'll still be gambling on what is not possible to ascertain (as all home buyers have to do, to some degree), but you've already got some red flags, so you might have to do more in the way of inspections than others would normally have to do.

I'm recalling a great line by Mark Wahlberg in the movie Deepwater Horizon, when he was chewing out the culprits of the disaster for shortcutting inspections to save some money and hasten the process: "Hope is not a tactic."

[OK, that's too far, right? Comparing your dream home purchase to an oil platform fire disaster?!? Dirk the jerk... :evil:]

Swampwoman has added a very important point! My friend, who bought years ago when the market was high-ish, even after all this recent upswing, is still upside-down on his loans. And that doesn't count what I guess to be the six-figure repair/improvement expenses he and his wife put into the place. So he can't sell. He can't move. He can't even rent it to cover the mortgage. And even if he walks away (short sale), the IRS can still claim back taxes, something to do with capitol gains on equity he used, I forget exactly what he did (I know, right?). He'll have to probably wait several more years to get away from the loan, assuming our current bubble doesn't burst first. He'll never see that six-figure investment again. Think about that! All that money, all the work he did himself... poof! You're already buying at a point along the roller coaster market value curve that is not ideal investment-wise, and by adding on expected and unexpected repair costs, you have to be prepared for the possibility of either living there forever, or walking away at some future point with little or nothing (or even debt) to show for all your time and money invested.

Sorry if this is insulting, and maybe you've got this all considered and figured in to the purchase price. Just playin' devil's advocate for ya...

Ugh... not the truth I want to be reminded of as realtor will be here in an hour, to tell me how much I’ve lost on my 2005 purchased “bachelor caste.” Now I have a wife family & a lousy school district...

Peter Pan has left the building!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.