How long can a pool stay dry

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I am thinking of draining my pool and refreshing it with new water. I have a repair that may be easier with water out of the pool. I have a pebble interior. If temps here in the desert are 80's..... how long can this pool stay dry before needed to be filled back up?

Make your repair as soon as it empties, as quickly as you can, then fill back up. If the water table is high in your area, i wouldn't drain.

I saw that you are in the desert, but i have to put that water table line in there for obvious reasons.

There is no duration of time that is ok to leave a pool empty that would apply across the board. And air temp would be different than direct sunlight on plaster. As well as humidity. There is more to it than just the water table. You may be able to get a pool company to take the risk of just draining for you, and you do the work. But i wouldn't

Make your repair as soon as it empties, as quickly as you can, then fill back up. If the water table is high in your area, i wouldn't drain.

I saw that you are in the desert, but i have to put that water table line in there for obvious reasons.

There is no duration of time that is ok to leave a pool empty that would apply across the board. And air temp would be different than direct sunlight on plaster. As well as humidity. There is more to it than just the water table. You may be able to get a pool company to take the risk of just draining for you, and you do the work. But i wouldn't

Thanks, I definitely don't have the high water table issue as you mentioned with me being in the desert. The repair can easily be done with water in the pool, it's a light issue, but I just figured I might try to repair it while I was draining anyways. I may just hold off on that and if I do decide to drain the pool, I'll revisit the pool light later when the water is back in. Knowing my schedule, I will drain it, and then it'll take 2 weeks for me to even have time to repair the light.

As far as why Im draining, it has to do with my very high calcium levels, etc. It kills my Intellichlor with all the cleaning and I just purchased a new one, so I figured I'd start fresh. Still debating on whether to do that or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.