Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Deck Question. Marble and slipping? or even travertine and slipping

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Deck Question. Marble and slipping? or even travertine and slipping

The marble pavers have the greys my wife wants. Anyone have put this on their deck? I assume we need to sand blast the marble to get it rough enough for not slipping. Just looking for anyones thoughts on the slipping and these surfaces. Thank you guys so much you have always answered my questions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Deck Question. Marble and slipping? or even travertine and slipping

I have never used this coating, but a quick google search turned it up. Anti Slip Nonslip Tile and Floor Solutions.
    You can contact them and ask if it can be used for a marble paver pool deck.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We are thinking about using marble too. Make sure you get tumbled or sand blasted and you will have to seal them.

These are tumbled Tahoe blue and Afyon

17,000 gal 20' x 34' Polymer freeform pool, All Hayward products: Aqua plus 16v w/ SWG & Aqua connect, Summit 140k btu heat pump, Tristar VSP 1.85HP, 1 Universal Colorlogic light, 1 320 Colorlogic light, 1 4' lighted Sheer Descent, 2 Pentair Magic Bowls

4. Back To Top    #4

did you end up using these? trying to decide between marbe and travertine......
    Pool build in process - about to choose builder...... tbd......

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by timglidden View Post
    did you end up using these? trying to decide between marbe and travertine......
    Yes we did, and we love how they came out

17,000 gal 20' x 34' Polymer freeform pool, All Hayward products: Aqua plus 16v w/ SWG & Aqua connect, Summit 140k btu heat pump, Tristar VSP 1.85HP, 1 Universal Colorlogic light, 1 320 Colorlogic light, 1 4' lighted Sheer Descent, 2 Pentair Magic Bowls

6. Back To Top    #6

looks amazing!! any issues with marble staining or being slippery when wet?

7. Back To Top    #7

It's tumbled and not slippery. It's actually very easy on the feet.

I sealed it with an impregnate sealant. It did not change the color or texture of the stone. Hopefully that will help with staining

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jza1736 View Post
    It's tumbled and not slippery. It's actually very easy on the feet.

I sealed it with an impregnate sealant. It did not change the color or texture of the stone. Hopefully that will help with staining
    awsome thanks! what was the brand of the sealer?

9. Back To Top    #9

Dry treat stain proof original
    Great reviews and supposed to last about 15yrs

I did it myself, and it has a few area with streaks. I would say to have it done by somebody professional.

10. Back To Top    #10

Wow, jza, that looks awesome! Very classic. Maybe the best pool deck I have ever seen. The Neptune Pool at Hearst Castle would have looked even better if they had used this:

Hearst Castle Pool.jpg
    Retro Classic Pool built ~1960, remodelled 2018. In ground gunite 16x36, 8.5' feet deep, 8' diving board, 25,000 gallons, polished pebble with glass beads, travertine coping and deck, 420 square foot Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair IntelliChlor 60 SWG, Polaris 280 with booster pump, two Pentair Itellibrite colored LED's, autofill

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by PrehistoricPool View Post
    Wow, jza, that looks awesome! Very classic. Maybe the best pool deck I have ever seen. The Neptune Pool at Hearst Castle would have looked even better if they had used this:

Hearst Castle Pool.jpg
    Thank you.

We couldn't be happier!

12. Back To Top    #12

this looks great!! is this tahoe gray marble ?

Quote Originally Posted by jza1736 View Post
    Yes we did, and we love how they came out

13. Back To Top    #13

No, this is called Afyon or white cloud

The Tahoe is darker and more blue.

First one is afyon

2nd and third are the Tahoe

14. Back To Top    #14

ok- all i can find down here in fl is ice or Moscow white which to me looks like Carrera marble. Your decking is the perfect shade. tahoe seems to dark to me....

theres also a new color called marmara which looks like the afyon but seems to have more "stripes"..... http://www.travertinepavers.com/marmara-marble/

15. Back To Top    #15

Thank you. We love the lighter color also. We had a choice of the Afyon or the Tahoe. But in person I think the Tahoe looks really dark. IMO.

16. Back To Top    #16

I have 'shellstone' travertine - it has oyster shells (naturally I assume) imbedded in the rock. It is not sealed, is not slippery and the best part is it doesn't get HOT with full Florida sun. I haven't had any pool parties yet - no accidents of any type - so I am not 100% sure about staining.
    10,500 gallon in-ground Pebblesheen - TF100XL w/Speedstir - Hayward TriStar 900VS, c200 cart, Aquarite AQR-15 SWG, 3 Colorlogic lights with controller & 400k BTU heater. Oyster shell travertine, coping & deck, NPT Casablanca. Dolphin S-300 robot (RALPH).