dinesh

Apr 28, 2017
Newark
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I bought a house with pool and it has a DE filter with standard cartridges inside it. It seems to work just fine. I need to buy an extra set of cartridges now and have few questions.
  • Should I buy standard cartridges or DE cartridges?
  • Has anyone done this before? Is so, what was your experience.
  • this is a old filter without any backwash mechanism and I couldn’t find DE cartridges for it anywhere. Maybe the manufacturer discontinued support for this model. So, what would be your suggestion if I cannot find DE cartridges, use normal cartridges or getting a new filter instead?
Thanks for your help in advance!

I bought a house with pool and it has a DE filter with standard cartridges inside it. It seems to work just fine. I need to buy an extra set of cartridges now and have few questions.
  • Should I buy standard cartridges or DE cartridges?
  • Has anyone done this before? Is so, what was your experience.
  • this is a old filter without any backwash mechanism and I couldn’t find DE cartridges for it anywhere. Maybe the manufacturer discontinued support for this model. So, what would be your suggestion if I cannot find DE cartridges, use normal cartridges or getting a new filter instead?
Thanks for your help in advance!

I think what you have there is a Pentair Quad DE filter. The filter elements look like standard cartridges but have more space between the pleats. This is my favorite DE filter, as it is very easy to access and re-assemble. I'm a little surprised that the curved panel filters are still on the market.

Thanks for the reply Mayorb. Do you know where can I find the DE cartridges for it?

I did an extensive search, including calling the company and they all seem to recommend to me the grid assembly (see link http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352018484.htm). I even ordered this and it just didn't fit /work for my filter so had to return it. Any help would be much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't seem to find what would work for me. The reference model here shows a grid assembly, which doesn't work for my model :(

My current cartridge is 20" tall with the outer diameter of 7" and the inner diameter of 3". And the closest match to that is Pentair De Cartridge, 15 Sq Ft Quad 60 (178654) - INYOPools.com with the outer diameter of 6" (1 inch shorter) rest specifications are almost same. Would this work for my case or do I have to buy the one with 7" outer diameter? Thanks again for bearing with my novice questions.

Have you called and talked to anyone in the tech part of inyo? If not let me know so I can have a name ready for you to call and ask for.

Kim:kim:

It would be nice if you can provide me with the contact at Inyo. Earlier, I tried the tech support for the filter manufacturer but the provided me the wrong information, pointing to those DE grids which didn't work for me. Hoping Inyo would be better to talk and get right information.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello Dinesh - Could you post a picture of the filter and the filter label? This way we can determine exactly what you need.

If you call Inyo again, ask for Andy, Alex, Lennox or Joe. They are the most experienced reps on the phone and will surely be able to assist you.

Hello Dinesh - Could you post a picture of the filter and the filter label? This way we can determine exactly what you need.

If you call Inyo again, ask for Andy, Alex, Lennox or Joe. They are the most experienced reps on the phone and will surely be able to assist you.

Hi Rob, here is the link to the filter picture Shared album - Dinesh Nagar - Google Photos

It's Amercian Products - Titan Vertical Grid D.E. Filter
Model No. 188550, Serial No. RPMF3404, Filter area 36

It seems like someone converted your American Titan DE grid filter into a quad cartridge filter. Your cartridge measurements (20"L,7"OD,3"ID) match up with the American Quantum 90 sq ft cartridges. These are different from the quad DE cartridges because the pleats are closer together.

To answer your original question, the cartridges can hold more debris than the grids and can go longer between cleanings.

It seems like someone converted your American Titan DE grid filter into a quad cartridge filter. Your cartridge measurements (20"L,7"OD,3"ID) match up with the American Quantum 90 sq ft cartridges. These are different from the quad DE cartridges because the pleats are closer together.

To answer your original question, the cartridges can hold more debris than the grids and can go longer between cleanings.

This is great help Rob. Thanks so much! I guess I should order the replacement cartridges based on the model you suggested.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.