New to TFP & Testing on My Own

karendino

Gold Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
Texas City TX
I m so happy to find this site. I m learning so much. I m unable to start a new topic for what ever reason (Recently Joined), but this question is right inline with this thread.
I used the Leslie Deluxe DPD Pool kit since Late 2016 and have maintained a good pool. A week ago I had my water checked at a large pool store. All readings were OK except CYA, which he said was above 100. Since my Leslie's pool kit doesn't check CH or CYA I bought the K-2006C.

I did my own check using Leslie's Deluxe (PH and TA only) and K-2006 and found PH, CH, TA and CYA were close to the store readings. However, the FC test was 5x higher on the K-2006 than the Store and Leslie's DPD deluxe kit. Store and Leslie's FC 3 ppm. K-2006 was 15 PPM (i did shock 3 or 4 days before).

My neighbor has a pool, so I checked his water using both kits. Leslie's FC 2 K-2006 FC 10. I tested both pools twice, same results.

I did turn my Chlorinator way down and checked FC a day later using K-2006 and it was 12. My pool looks great, but it hasn't warmed up yet. Which kit to trust?

Re: New to TFP & Testing on My Own

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Your Leslies test kit was probably a K-2005 version which does not have the FAS-DPD test portion we like so much for accurate FC/CC tests. You can hang on to it and use the pH and TA reagents when the K-2006 gets low. Disregard the pool store tests as they will be inconsistent at best. Now that you have a K-2006, YOU are in charge and will get accurate results. We'll help you with any test questions.

If you are using an in-line chlorinator (tabs/pucks), I would stop right away and remove any tablets. Those things are packed with stabilizer that increases your CYA through the roof. Stick with regular bleach from HEB (Bravo) or Wal-Mart (Great Value). No side effects with those. Save the tabs for future use when CYA is low or you go on vacation. When the sun comes back out, your FC should drop quickly on its own. Later you can post a full set of test results and we'll help you review them if you like.

Nice to have you with us.

- - - Updated - - -

PS - Don't forget to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Include your test kit as well so we don't ask every time later. :) Ha ha.

I have another question. What is the advantages of using Bleach over liquid Chloride?
And to clarify ... regular bleach and liquid pool shock or chlorine are all the same thing. They have the same main ingredient - sodium hypochlorite. That's why they are so effective in sanitizing without any additional by-products or side effects. Plus, regular bleach is quite easy to grab just about anywhere and much cheaper than pool store chlorine/liquid pool shock. I generally pick-up a few bottles of HEB bleach on the weekend and it lasts me all week - longer in the winter/cooler months.

Update: I m still getting 5x FC different readings using the two kits. I was a little Leary of the new K-2006 DPD powder since it expires in 6/18 and thought I was getting bad FC readings. However, the company said it was good past the expiration date, provided it was not black and or clumpy, which it's not. I decided to head to another friends house and compare FC against his kit. It was a Leslie's kit that did CYA and CH test. We only tested FC/CC.

The FC test matched nicely and he got 0 CC (TC-FC=CC) and I got .5 CC using K-2006. In a nutshell, I now trust the kit, I just didn't believe my chlorine was that high. Maybe my regents in my Leslie's deluxe kit is going bad.

Now time to tackle the high CYA issue (100 using the method I learned on here, not 130 sitting in a garage). Took a few days off work to ready the pool for the summer. Drain, Fill, balance and get rid of those 3" tabs.

BTW..Anyone have a nifty trick on getting those out of the Tube?

Thanks for all the great advice.

Joe

I been recommending this site to all my friends who own a pool.

Joe, trust your FAS-DPD FC testing. That R-0870 powder and R-0871 drops is the most accurate method out there. It works. As for the tabs, hummm..short of trying to poke them or break in half to grab hold of, I'm at a loss. Someone else's brain may be working better than mine right now. :wink: Watch your eyes and breathing though! That chlorine is strong when you stand over that chlorinator.

Texas Splash, I surely will do that. I have to admit the pool was looking good, but knowing I have an issue, I must drain and start again using FTP methods, I feel good and excited about it. My wife is tired of me talking Pool...LOL, but, she does love looking at the Pool Pics in the gallery.:razz:

Pool before drain.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.