DE Filter Screen Broken - Can I bypass filter and circulate while waiting for parts?

dave_m

Mar 7, 2018
Houston, TX
New member and new pool owner. I've been reading a lot here about pool chemistry and was focusing on getting that right first and was pretty close so I started to dig into filter maintenance. I read the sticky on the DE filter cleaning and was going through that procedure when I noticed that one of my screens was broken after I'd spent a ton of time cleaning everything out. I called the local pool store and he said they could sell me individual screens but that if one was broken its probably time to replace them all. They were charging $30/filter so $240 for the set just about. I found some online for $120 for the set so I decided to order those. They'll be here Tuesday night but I was wondering if I could bypass the filter so that I could be circulating the water until then or is that a bad idea? I do have a robot that I can use to clean up some, should I just run that daily until I get the filters? Should I add any bleach if the SWG isn't producing chlorine? Or am I worrying about nothing and it'll be fine if it doesn't circulate for 3 days?

What is your water temp? If it is above 55 I would find a way to run the filter so you can mix in chlorine as needed to keep up to your level for you CYA.

I am glad you found this out before it got hotter! Good job on finding such a great price!

Kim:kim:

It's 68 now. Do you mean run the pump? I would have to bypass the filter somehow and I'm not sure what does that yet. It's the Hayward DE6020. There's settings for filter, backwash, rinse, closed, waste, and recirculate on the multi-port valve. I kind of need to run it because I'm still a little low on CYA. Most of the chemistry is in the safe range right now though. I just didn't know if it was possible or safe for the pump and plumbing if I were to bypass the filter. The filter will be out of commission until Tuesday night. I ran it all most of the day yesterday. And running the robot would help turn the water a good bit in the pool but not the plumbing obviously.

You will want to be careful not to clog the cell with debris.

With the filter on recirculate, larger debris like grass and small rocks can get past the pump basket and get lodged in the cell blades.

You can pour in some bleach and run the pump with the filter on re-circulate for about 5 minutes to mix it all in. Your water is still cool so you shouldn't have to add bleach more than once or twice before next weekend. If there is any floating debris just monitor the skimmer while you run the pump. Your other option is to add bleach and brush the pool to mix it in, then you don't have to worry about accidentally sucking something into your SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ned to do the same thing, but for a different reason, I have a swamp right now. Our pump broke down, it's been a month with no circulation! New pump in, our filter laterals were badly damaged, new one just arrived and we are setting up to put in new sand and get it all hooked up. I didn't want to SLAM and run all that green gunk through new sand the first day of the slam, AND I do not see a "recirculate" on our filter. Is there another setting that would do the same thing? We have "winterize", "whirlpool" then all the regular settings, rinse, backwash, drain, filter, and the "test". Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.