Thanks tfpc

Danimal1211

Silver Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
Columbia,sc
Hey all, I’m Dan and I’ve been lurking here since we bought our AGP in August. We hadn’t planned on buying a pool, but they had a Coleman 18x48 at Wally World for$190 and my gf talked them down to $160. I’ve kept fresh and saltwater aquariums for many years but I’ve never had pool. So I asked my know it-all friend Google and found this site.

TFPC kept my pool crystal clear until I let it go in December. After enough nagging from the gf I vacuumed out about 15lbs of leaves and slammed it. Against my now better judgement, I tried to raise CYA during the slam and added too much. It was at 80, so I drained half the pool and filled back up( thank god it’s only 6800 gallons). This added a few extra days to the slam. My water is back to crystal clear, just too cold to swim. Current stats are:

FC: 8 (slowly letting it come down into range)
CC: undetectabe
PH:7.4 ( not too worried about it being at Low end of spectrum since we’re not swimming yet)
TA: 90
CYA: 40
test kit is Taylor k-2006. I also bought a big bottle of CYA regent.

I’ve upgrade the weak canister filter for an intex sand filter. I had diy pvc surface skimmers but they were a real pita. I didn’t think the intex surface skimmer would fit my intakes. I was wrong, I just put one on and am considering a second. It works surprisingly well for the price. I had some aquarium pebbles weighting down the old pvc skimmers and accidentally dumped a whole bunch in the pool. They’ll have to wait until the water if warm enough to sweep out.

dbtgallery.php

You may have to join the two hoses together to make them long enough.

The second skimmer is up to you. I have a 33' round pool with only one skimmer and one return. It works for me but your area might be different. It is up to you if you add the second one or not.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are two intakes but they are both on the same side of the return. I think because of that design I am essentially cutting off flow to 1/2 the pool. My thought is to run a longer hose to the second skimmer and put into the other side of the return so water flows more in a mushroom pattern if that makes sense.

We are so glad you find TFP helpful and we appreciate your thanks! TFP is a non-profit organization and donation from supporters help us keep TFP up and running and ad free. If you would like to help support TFP just click here for more information on donating to TFP. Thanks!