New Coleman 22' AGP Questions

Jun 23, 2017
Fort Smith
Hello.... long-time lurker here.....

Last year my wife and I bought a small 15'X36" "intex-style" pool we bought from Walmart for $90 and it got our kids HOOKED!!! Unfortunately we had left for a short vacation and when we came home we found severl small holes along the ring and was unable to patch them. (We have a hawk living in the treeline behind our house and there were several holes grouped together in a near perfect talon shape in several places.)

This year we plan on buying the Coleman 22'X52" above ground pool and I've read many mixed reviews, most of which were satisfactory. Luckily for us the previous owners of our house had an above ground pool and had poured a 26' diameter round slab that we will be using. The concrete is cracked in a few places, not breaking apart just long fractures, and it has settled in the middle so is is about a half-inch concaved.

I'll be putting down rigid insulation boards on top of the concrete, will they bow and form to the concave or will they crack?

Should I put the support legs on the boards? or will that 3/4" make a difference in the liner? Or should I glue down some concrete blocks for the legs to avoid the unsightly look of the foam boards?

Next set of questions is pertaining to the pump and plumbing system. I know that I want to install a Hayward wide-mouth skimmer.... Should I wait till later in the season to do that? or do it all at the time of setting it up? My thoughts are that the liner will stretch ever so slightly after a few months and could possibly damage the liner where the skimmer is?

I bought a sandfilter and pump from walmart last summer for our much smaller pool, it wasn't very expensive but holds almost a 50lb bag of sand. Will it be sufficient?

The pool has 1 return and two intakes to the pump..... I plan on installing a hayward eye return, what should I do with the two intakes? Could I convert one of those to some kind of pump intake (in addition to the skimmer, kind of like a traditional pool has a center bottom drain, but on the side) and the other one as an automatic vacuum port?

We look forward to spending many many days and nights in our pool!

Thanks in advance!!!

This year we plan on buying the Coleman 22'X52" above ground pool .... had poured a 26' diameter round slab ... is about a half-inch concaved. I'll be putting down rigid insulation boards on top of the concrete, will they bow and form to the concave or will they crack?

The boards should be fine. Half inch over 13' isn't much of anything at all. All concrete cracks over time

Should I put the support legs on the boards? or will that 3/4" make a difference in the liner? Or should I glue down some concrete blocks for the legs to avoid the unsightly look of the foam boards?

I would suggest cutting out the foam putting the legs on solid concrete. If you want to add thin concrete block under the leg you can, but you may find that there aren't many thin pavers out there. I don't think the 3/4" would have much effect on the liner.

Next set of questions is pertaining to the pump and plumbing system. I know that I want to install a Hayward wide-mouth skimmer.... Should I wait till later in the season to do that? or do it all at the time of setting it up? My thoughts are that the liner will stretch ever so slightly after a few months and could possibly damage the liner where the skimmer is?

I would do it at the time of install. That way you don't have to drain or try to do it with water in the way. Fill the water up almost all the way so the liner stretches and seats in place. Then you can measure and add the skimmer before you fill it all the way. The soft liner will be moving all the time with the pool use. I don't believe waiting will have much difference. There should be a soft gasket with the skimmer that should take up any stretch from the liner. It will overlap by more than enough to compensate.
Make sure the skimmer is downwind of the prevailing wind direction to aid in skimming.

I bought a sandfilter and pump from walmart last summer for our much smaller pool, it wasn't very expensive but holds almost a 50lb bag of sand. Will it be sufficient?

Do you have the make and model numbers? Are these by Intex? I will say that water quality is more related to water chemistry than it is to filter type / size. The size will just set the frequency of cleanings. Proper water chemistry will outweigh other factors for making sure your water is clean, sanitary and sparkly. Get a great test kit, TF-100 or Taylor K-2006c.

The pool has 1 return and two intakes to the pump..... I plan on installing a hayward eye return, what should I do with the two intakes? Could I convert one of those to some kind of pump intake (in addition to the skimmer, kind of like a traditional pool has a center bottom drain, but on the side) and the other one as an automatic vacuum port?

No, don't use them as intakes. You could use them as a return or just plug them. You can use the skimmer attachment for the manual vacuum.

We look forward to spending many many days and nights in our pool!

We hope you get to as well! Home testing coupled with TFP guidelines will lead to much enjoyment of your pool with family and friends. :D:splash::party::swim::whoot::cheers::cheers:

Thank you so much for your reply! Answered all my questions and gave me reassurance! I'm not certain of the model number for the pump and filter, but i'll probably eventually replace it with a higher-powered pump..... Not sure I can rely on a Walmart pump for years of use.....

You likely only need a 3/4 or 1hp pump to do the work you need. That's not to say a small pump isn't sufficient. Just don't go too big of a pump. Filters can be as big as you want. And be sure any new pump purchase is a least a 2 speed pump. Craigslist is a good resource. A lot of ppl get rid of unwanted equipment in the spring at a fraction of new equipment prices.

I've done my pool with a 1/3 Rd and currently the Intex 1/2 hp pump with a 42 lb sand filter. Works fine but expect to backwash about every 4 days running 24/7, and they very good with a vacuum as the filter plugs up fast. No need for a two speed at that power level, even at 24/7 operation. Second half of last year I used the Intex at 1/2 time and backwashed about every other week.

I would start with the pump and filter you got, spend money elsewhere and upgrade later.

Awesome, thanks for the info.... Any reason not to use one of two holes as a valved return? It seems like it would help circulate the water better.... :/

I grew up with an in-ground and had a Polaris vacuum that attached to secondary return with its own pump.... Is that not suggested with an above ground?

Any reason not to use one of two holes as a valved return?
Dave had noted about you could use them as additional returns which would help with circulation......
No, don't use them as intakes. You could use them as a return or just plug them. You can use the skimmer attachment for the manual vacuum.
An aftermarket skimmer will provide all the return flow needed.
I grew up with an in-ground and had a Polaris vacuum that attached to secondary return with its own pump.... Is that not suggested with an above ground?
You certainly are welcome to use one of those ports or something else as you mentioned, but we're finding that more & more members are moving over to the automated cleaners for their convenience, no plumbing or separate pump required, and no interruption to the pool's normal water movement.
Hope that helps. Welcome to the forum. :wave:

The Intex return-side robot works pretty well. I got one for $50 on Amazon and never had to manually vacuum again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the Coleman 22x52 and love it. However mine had 2 out and 1 inlet. I did find the small pump never circulated to the other side of the pool. I have been using the Hayward 1hp and 100cu ft cartridge filter and love it. This year I have installed Hayward jets, skimmer and salt water generator. Also going full pvc piping. I can’t wait to see the difference. It’s a great pool and the kids love it.
Also meant to say I got the Wanda the Whale cleaner and it works wonderfully. Check it out. It is a little more than the intex one but I can vouch for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.