How well (or not well) will salt dissolve in my 57 degree water?

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
I just bought 15 bags of pool salt at Lowe's and have been waiting to start adding it since I knew I couldn't generate salt at these temps anyway (my pool temp is 57 right now). I decided to add a bag tonight and noticed that it collected on the bottom. Will this salt dissolve on its own fairly quickly? I'm trying to set expectations for what I might encounter if I go ahead and dump about 10 of the bags in the pool at these temps.

Thanks!

Raw,

You don't just dump it in and let it sit there... Use your brush and sweep it around a little..

It take about 30 seconds longer when its cold... Ok, I made that number up, but the cold does not make much difference..

IC40's will, in theory, generate when the water temp is above 52 degrees... It varies with each SWCG, so if your pool is 57 it probably will work.

It will take 24 hours before you can get a semi-accurate salt readings out of the IC40.. Don't just go adding more salt just because the IC40 says the salt level is low... double check with the Taylor K-1766..

And, unless you turn the Cell off and then on, it will only update ScreenLogic every 12 hours...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have never seen an IC40 initially come on, it will flash a red and green light back and forth for about 5 minutes while it calibrates itself... This is normal operation.

R,

When I'm adding a bag or two, I dump it along one side of my pool and then use the brush to push to toward the other side. It only takes a couple of minutes for it all to visually dissolve. My understanding is that it takes about 24 hours to fully mix with the water.. It will take a little more effort if you added all the salt at once...

Jim R.

I know I'm probably over analyzing, but I filled up a 5 gallon bucket with pool water, poured some salt in there and have been mixing it vigorously for about 20 minutes and there's still plenty in the bottom :) Maybe when you say it disappeared visually in a couple minutes, it was still down there but just not noticeable?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One more curiosity question. If someone leaves a mound of undissolved salt at the bottom on their liner until it finally dissolves on its own, does that negatively impact the liner in any way?

It never caused any problem in my Intex pool. That's all I ever did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.