Adjusting Calcium Hardness - double checking before I adjust

dave_m

Mar 7, 2018
Houston, TX
The PoolMath calculator said I needed to add 261oz of calcium chloride to get from 250ppm to 350ppm. I'm going on the suggestion in the Water Balance for SWG post. That's 16lbs of calcium chloride! Sounds like a lot to me so I wanted to double check here before I did something like this. And where does one buy this much calcium chloride. I'm a former homebrewer and know I can get 1lb bags from those shops but this is a lot!

I've already had to put 2g of CYA in this pool since I bought the house a couple of months ago. It was way low. Oh, I forgot to mention that this is my first pool so I'm very new to pool maintenance.

Thanks for collecting all of the information here by the way. It's been really reassuring as a new pool owner. So let me try to give as much info here as I can to help with the situation.

-Calculated volume - 17,600g
-Current water temp - 68
-Current air temp - it's Houston, TX. Doesn't matter what I put here it could be 10-20 different by the time you read it. Seriously... today a high of 81 and Monday a low of 43
-Pollen is crazy high which is another issue I'd like to ask about. And I've been running the pump 24/7 the last few days after reading the forums for how to handle the layer of pollen that I'm seeing on the surface. I feel like it will just be better as the trees stop dumping so much. I ordered a skimmer sock so maybe that will help when I get it.
-We've been getting a lot of rain and the trees are dumping a lot of junk in the pools this time of year. Leaves, pollen, seeds.
-I just bought a Dolphin Nautilus Plus to help clean the pool. The previous owners left a Heyward pump powered vacuum which just wasn't getting the job done.
-I have municipal water supply but am running my whole house through a two stage filtration system and installed a descaler as there was a crazy amount of scaling in the dishwasher when we bought the house.
-There is also a structured water system which is just a kind of mineral container that runs parallel to the water pipes to change the charge of the water a bit to a more natural state.
But the majority of the water in the pool should be the original municipal water supply as I had the filtration installed after I moved in. I can give more details on this if anyone is interested and/or thinks it matters.

• 17,600g
  • in ground
  • plaster
  • Heyward PRO-GRID D.E. Filter(DE6020)
  • Pentair 2hp pump(CHII N1 2A) single speed as best I can tell
  • SWG Heyward SwimPure Plus(T-CELL-15-SWP)
  • fill comes from filtered municipal water supply

FC - 6
CC - 0
pH - 8 (I added muriatic acid after this reading today. But it was 7.5 2 days ago when I added a gallon of CYA to raise it from 30 to 50. Added another half gallon today)
TA - 90
CH - 250
CYA - 50(should be up to 60 after today's addition
salt - 3600ppm(haven't looked into what this should be yet. more interested in getting the other numbers right first)

I appreciate any advice you guys can give me here. Again, I'm new to this and know next to nothing. I really need to read up on these sand filters and how to maintain them. I haven't added any DE to it yet but I did have to have the multi-port valve replaced(yay home warranty!)

-Dave

Test your fill water. If CH is low you can push it up. If it high I would probably push it up some. I would aim a little lower than the calculator says so you don't overshoot. With all the rain Houston gets it probably won't hurt if it goes a little high.

Careful about adding Calcium to a pool.....it's sort of a one-way street. Houston may get enough rainfall to counteract but.................CH almost NEVER falls but ALMOST ALWAYS rises

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.