Tricky decision

whitemok

In The Industry
Jun 20, 2014
Hawaii
The power went out and will be for a week. No pumps. Circulation nothing. I will not be able to drain pool (41,0000 gallons). It will get cloudy soon. Should i shock and try to balance during the meantime until the power come on?. I also have a portable vacuum that let water waste away from pool when vacuuming.

You just need to dose with liquid bleach and brush it daily, and a sump pump that sits on the pool step and helps circulate the water (back into the pool obviously) will do wonders to avoid a disastrous green take over. Take the pool FC up to SLAM level based on the CYA. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

You will lose a bit of sparkle cause it isn't filtering though. Easily fixed once power goes back on.

Maddie :flower:

Will the portable vacuum move the water inside the pool?

You can always use a boat paddle or straw broom to make a whirlpool and move the water around by walking around the pool a few times. Then you can pour the chlorine in and make a couple more laps to mix it in good.

Good luck! I hope they get the power on soon!

No need to dump it. Even if it goes green, green pools are not that hard to fix. I suppose if water is cheap then you could drain it using a siphon hose but my understanding is that nothing is cheap in Hawaii.

Do you have a portable generator? Can you get one? If you had one, a pool pump would only need to run for about an hour or so to get decent filtration.

Your profile says “pool operator.” Is this a public or commercial pool?

How is your “waste vacuum” powered? Do you have a hammerhead or pv2100??

If you are without all Mechanicals for the time being, liquid chlorine addition while staff is brushing the heck out of it..

OH and it is a 1500 gal spa! Not big at all. BUT he has "Pentair brominator feeder using bromine. Bi-carbonate. Calcium chloride" listed in his signature. That could change things some.

Kimkats, per his initial post he states it is a 41,000 gallon pool. I am thinking this is something different than what is listed in his signature as you noted.

I like the laps with a paddle idea, but then again I love to canoe!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ive been brushing overkill then shocking with good dilution then brushing again then portable vacuum then skimming the surface daily.
So far its clear snd and ready for power up within a few days.
Thanks for the help...
If i was ro do this again. Liquid chlorine is the way to go.
Thanks maddie.

Ive been brushing overkill then shocking with good dilution then brushing again then portable vacuum then skimming the surface daily.
So far its clear snd and ready for power up within a few days.
Thanks for the help...
If i was ro do this again. Liquid chlorine is the way to go.
Thanks maddie.

Good to hear! Liquid chlorine, aka "bleach", is the cure for a majority of pool chem issues.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.