Pool Heater is no longer a feasible option for me, would a solar cover help much?

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
I posted something on here at the end of last season asking about a pool heater and got some good advice and the estimates given on here were pretty close. My biggest problem is that the gas line as far as it could possibly be from my pool plumbing. The estimates to run the gas line are way more than the cost and installation of the heater itself.

Given the fact that the only reason i was looking into this in the first place was to extend my pool season, I'm all but abandoning the pool heater option because it's not worth it. I think i'll take that money and have some of big shade trees trimmed or taken out and look into a solar cover.

So what's the difference between a solar cover and a regular old black plastic cover that I have on my pool right now? I'm reading that the main thing a solar cover does is slow evaporation. Wouldn't my regular cover do that?

This is my first year of covering the pool in the off season, can I expect the temperature to be higher this year after leaving a cover on it all spring?

Yes, that was what I was originally thinking. But folks on here and the pool company's I've consulted with are singing the same song. That a heat pump probably won't work as well as I want it to and it will take a tremendous amount of time to move the needle on my pool temp.

Honestly though, I think that might be ok. I'm not looking for it to heat up overnight.

I think that a heat pump used in combination with a solar cover will get you what you need. A heat pump heats low and slow but once you get to the temp you want it will be pennies to maintain it, however you must cover the pool with a bubble solar cover so you do not loose the heat you gained from evaporation at night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.