Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracks in rim of fiberglass pool. How to repair?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cracks in rim of fiberglass pool. How to repair?

This is a fiberglass inground pool, that I am guessing is about 25 years old. It has these hairline cracks all the way around the rim. What is my best and most economical repair options? I am more concerned about function over fashion. I was thinking of about drilling a small hole at each end of the crack and then glazing over with fiberglass resin. Do you think I need to put a thin g strip of fiberglass cloth on each one or just the resin?

Before I filled it last fall, I repaired about 30 or so small holes on the floor with cloth and resin. So, I am comfortable working with the materials. They seems to have held through the winter and still look good.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/163238.../shares/rzTj5v
    In ground fiberglass 15'x30'. 3' on the shallow 6' on the deep

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cracks in rim of fiberglass pool. How to repair?

Husband says cloth for sure! The resin could still crack. It is the cloth that gives it the "binding". He says to make sure to lightly sand where you are putting it to help it stick. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Those are almost certainly superficial cracks in the gelcoat layer only and are not actual leaks. I would discourage drilling because then you are creating actual holes in the shell. What it really needs is a new gelcoat layer but if you want to just fill the cracks get a two part boat fairing compound. It's generally sold in white so it'll match pretty good. https://www.amazon.com/FGCI-OEM-Supe...iring+compound

I have used it to seal superficial cracks and dings in fiberglass many times. Work it in perpendicular to the crack, let it dry and sand smooth. It's best to do it on a warm day.
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4

Keith, That is some neat stuff up there! I bet that will be purrfect for what they want to do! Good call!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit