Recommendations pump and SWG

Aug 31, 2012
Hi,
I have a 12000 gallon pool with a single speed 1hp hayward superpump 2 and an old swg and sand filter. Looking to go to a vsp and new swg.
Will a 1hp vsp work ok with my current setup?
Any recommendations on swg/vsp for my setup? Mix/match?
Looking to install myself and have read varying reports of companies different warranties based on a diy installation, thoughts on this.

Thanks

Dave,

You might want to look at a 2-speed pump instead, which would allow your SWCG and pump to run off a single timer...

I am not sure you can even buy a 1 HP VS pump??? The neat thing about VS pumps, is that within reason you do not have to worry about HP.. Even a 3 HP pump would work fine on your pool, because you really only use the HP you need. VS pumps should really be called variable horsepower pumps...

If you are not going to have an automation system, you can mix and match whatever SWCG and pump that you want. If I did not have an automation system, I would go with a CircuPool SWCG...

Keep in mind that if you have a VS pump and a SWCG, you must use some means of making sure the SWCG does not get electrical power when the pump is off. Most people use a mechanical timer that they keep synced with the electronic control panel in the pump. A few VS pumps have a relay output that can control the SWCG.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
Thanks for the information. I saw Jandy makes a 1.0 HP VS FloPro but would I need to run the pump at less than full rpm when not running the vac and still have enough flow for the skimmer or swcg or would I just be running it at full rpm all the time? My old swcg was just wired to turn on when the pool pump ran so got away with just the timer for the pool on/off. I guess I was thinking how much hp to buy and not buy more than I need to operate the pool. For example to go from a 1hp vs jandy to the 2hp model is a increase in cost of about $250 more. I also have a small waterfall on the pool to run but only have that on when in the pool.

Thanks
Dave

Dave,

You might want to look at a 2-speed pump instead, which would allow your SWCG and pump to run off a single timer...

I am not sure you can even buy a 1 HP VS pump??? The neat thing about VS pumps, is that within reason you do not have to worry about HP.. Even a 3 HP pump would work fine on your pool, because you really only use the HP you need. VS pumps should really be called variable horsepower pumps...

If you are not going to have an automation system, you can mix and match whatever SWCG and pump that you want. If I did not have an automation system, I would go with a CircuPool SWCG...

Keep in mind that if you have a VS pump and a SWCG, you must use some means of making sure the SWCG does not get electrical power when the pump is off. Most people use a mechanical timer that they keep synced with the electronic control panel in the pump. A few VS pumps have a relay output that can control the SWCG.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.