Pool Problems

Mar 8, 2018
Lancaster, CA
Hi, I am new to the pool community and I am having some issues that need attention. First off my pool needs new plaster and decking. Since I am having the plaster and decking redone I would like to upgrade my drain from one non-working drain to two drains that function, also I would like to upgrade my old school concrete skimmer pot to an ABS one. That's right, my skimmer pot is made out of concrete.... By doing so would allow me to add some creature comforts such as an additional return, auto fill, and a vacuum port.

Is there anyone out there that has replaced a concrete skimmer with an ABS?

Has anyone saw cut a trench down the side of the pool to add new drains? If so what was the process like?

Thanks for the help.

I just had my plaster redone. I took the drains out! Pools are being built now-a-days without them. 2 is safer than 1 but neither is safer than 0! Cleaner look. Doesn't mess with feet or cleaners. You say it doesn't work now? Do you have any circulation problems? Heat distribution? Anything like that? Otherwise, ditch it. When they redid my plaster they added eyeballs on the returns, so I can redirect circulation much better now. Especially if you'll be able to add a return or two. So far, no drains = no problem!

Definitely add the auto-fill. Love mine.

Maybe money would be better spent on a second skimmer rather than fixing the drain(s)...

Experts here like robots, which don't require a vacuum port, but I say add it to have it, for future options or manual vacuuming. Can't add one later.

That’s what I thought I’d do, I’m just not sure on whether I need to use shotcrete or regular concrete. I’ve talked to a few pool builders and they’ve all said that it’s too small of a job. I don’t mind doing it myself, I’d like to get educated prior to cutting into my pool.

That’s what I thought I’d do, I’m just not sure on whether I need to use shotcrete or regular concrete. I’ve talked to a few pool builders and they’ve all said that it’s too small of a job. I don’t mind doing it myself, I’d like to get educated prior to cutting into my pool.

Shotcrete is concrete, it’s just placed pneumatically. A skimmer Replacement doesn’t require a “shoot.”

If the pool is that old to have a concrete skimmer what type of plumbing do you have, is it all copper? Why would a pool contractor think it's too small a job if your doing a replaster and new deck. You might check with a few companies that do nothing but renovation work

If the pool is that old to have a concrete skimmer what type of plumbing do you have, is it all copper? Why would a pool contractor think it's too small a job if your doing a replaster and new deck. You might check with a few companies that do nothing but renovation work

I’d like to see a photo.. I’m betting it’s a monolithic poured pool.

Skimmer replacements are good profit jobs, but man oh man— you definitely earn it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.