Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Problems

Hi, I am new to the pool community and I am having some issues that need attention. First off my pool needs new plaster and decking. Since I am having the plaster and decking redone I would like to upgrade my drain from one non-working drain to two drains that function, also I would like to upgrade my old school concrete skimmer pot to an ABS one. That's right, my skimmer pot is made out of concrete.... By doing so would allow me to add some creature comforts such as an additional return, auto fill, and a vacuum port.

Is there anyone out there that has replaced a concrete skimmer with an ABS?

Has anyone saw cut a trench down the side of the pool to add new drains? If so what was the process like?

Thanks for the help.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool Problems

I just had my plaster redone. I took the drains out! Pools are being built now-a-days without them. 2 is safer than 1 but neither is safer than 0! Cleaner look. Doesn't mess with feet or cleaners. You say it doesn't work now? Do you have any circulation problems? Heat distribution? Anything like that? Otherwise, ditch it. When they redid my plaster they added eyeballs on the returns, so I can redirect circulation much better now. Especially if you'll be able to add a return or two. So far, no drains = no problem!

Definitely add the auto-fill. Love mine.

Maybe money would be better spent on a second skimmer rather than fixing the drain(s)...

Experts here like robots, which don't require a vacuum port, but I say add it to have it, for future options or manual vacuuming. Can't add one later.
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

3. Back To Top    #3

You should be able to cut out the old (must be VERY old!) concrete skimmer down to the connected suction pipe. Then run more suction pipe up to (or cut it down to) the bottom level of the new ABS skimmer.
    Keith
    15,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool, 1.5" PVC plumbing
    1.0HP Sta-Rite DuraGlass P2R pump, Hayward S244T sand filter
    Teledyne-Laars Lite-2 250k heater, Hayward CL200 chlorinator
    Polaris 380/Hayward 6060 booster pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Thatís what I was thinking, maybe get rid of it and add more returns to direct flow. I have a robot and I love it. Set it and forget it. Thanks for the reply.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thatís what I thought Iíd do, Iím just not sure on whether I need to use shotcrete or regular concrete. Iíve talked to a few pool builders and theyíve all said that itís too small of a job. I donít mind doing it myself, Iíd like to get educated prior to cutting into my pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Pool Problems

Quote Originally Posted by jcain63 View Post
    Thatís what I thought Iíd do, Iím just not sure on whether I need to use shotcrete or regular concrete. Iíve talked to a few pool builders and theyíve all said that itís too small of a job. I donít mind doing it myself, Iíd like to get educated prior to cutting into my pool.
    Shotcrete is concrete, itís just placed pneumatically. A skimmer Replacement doesnít require a ďshoot.Ē

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

In the Industry

If the pool is that old to have a concrete skimmer what type of plumbing do you have, is it all copper? Why would a pool contractor think it's too small a job if your doing a replaster and new deck. You might check with a few companies that do nothing but renovation work

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Pool Problems

Quote Originally Posted by kadavis View Post
    If the pool is that old to have a concrete skimmer what type of plumbing do you have, is it all copper? Why would a pool contractor think it's too small a job if your doing a replaster and new deck. You might check with a few companies that do nothing but renovation work

Iíd like to see a photo.. Iím betting itís a monolithic poured pool.

Skimmer replacements are good profit jobs, but man oh manó you definitely earn it.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

What is a monolithic poured pool? And would that affect what the OP can change about his pool?
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Itís an old school method of concrete placement.. & no - concrete is concrete, shot or poured.

11. Back To Top    #11

I’m out of town at the moment, I’ll post pics later.