Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pebble Tec recommended ranges differ from TFP "pool school"

1. Back To Top    #1

Pebble Tec recommended ranges differ from TFP "pool school"

New Pebble Sheen pool here that was just turned over to me after a 30 day startup by my PB. I'm finding the recommended ranges for chemical levels are different from those found here. I'm thinking I should follow the ones from Pebble Tec but can anyone comment on the significance of the difference? The CH and TA ranges don't even overlap.

From TFP, Plaster with SWG:

FC 3-5 (See chart)
    pH 7.2-7.8
    TA 60-80
    CH 350-450
    CYA 70-80

From Pebble Tec's maintenance document:

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pebble Tec recommended ranges differ from TFP "pool school"

Just the fact that they supply a chlorine number that has nothing to do with the huge range of CYA "acceptability" tells you they're stuck in the 1960's.

Do what you need to do for your warranty, but understand that these numbers are using 30+ year old science that has been thoroughly disproven.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pebble Tec recommended ranges differ from TFP "pool school"

If you use the middle of their ranges you end up with an LSI of -.44. So they don't even follow their own advice.

Edit: this is with a water temp of 70.
    20'x48' 40,000 gal. Vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Sta-Rite PLM300 System 2 Cartridge Filter, and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater all controlled by Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic. Dolphin Premier pool attendant.
    I've got iron stained well water. TF-100 and Speed Stir, Lamotte 3017-G for Borates