Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward TCell Replacement (OEM, or Generic)

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward TCell Replacement (OEM, or Generic)

Hello,

I am coming up on year 5 of pool use. My Salt Cell is showing no signs of fault, but I want to be prepared. A few questions:

If replacing with OEM Hayward T-Cell-15, where is the recommended site for best price?

If replacing with Generic, what do most people have greatest success with? Where to buy at best price?

Thanks for your input!!

Ted

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward TCell Replacement (OEM, or Generic)

Most of the folks here recommend OEM. I take care of several neighborhood pools and use ONLY Generic. It saves people $150 and gets thousands of hours chlorine production.Hayward T-Cell 15 Salt Cell vs. PoolSupplyWorld Generic T-Cell 15
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

3. Back To Top    #3

Philo, thanks for the info. What is the longest you have had a PSW generic running? I live in Central PA, so only 4.5 months of use. I have 5 years of use and coming up on the 6th with OEM. (I mistakenly had wrong years in original post above).

4. Back To Top    #4

The longest one is 3.5 years. None have failed. They are in use all year long.
    I'm so cynical that I suspect that there is a Chinese factory that makes all the SWG's and just slaps different labels on them. Once they get to the US , companies charge what ever they can get away with.......
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

5. Back To Top    #5

There is no need to buy a new cell yet as the old one is still working. Once you buy a new cell the warranty starts so you will be throwing away any warranty time that the cell is not used. It is simple enough to add bleach for a few days while you are waiting on a cell replacement once the old cell dies. Many people get a lot of years out of a cell in the short swim season areas.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the insight. I will hold off until it starts showing a weakness. I only run at 30-40% and only for 12 hours a day. And that is only for the 4.5 months we have for a season (with heater).