small pool, 3/4hp pump 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Suction line size?

The resistance of a pipe depends on the flow rate, pipe diameter and pipe length.

For example, 100' of 1.5" pvc pipe at 50 gpm results in a water velocity of about 7.88 ft/sec and a head loss of about 15.4 ft.

However, 99 ft of 2" pvc at 50 gpm has a head loss of about 4.8 ft and 1 foot of 1.5" has a head loss of about 0.154 ft for a total head loss of about 4.954 ft or about 1/3.

So, you get more flow.

To get a better idea of the dynamics, you can graph various system curves on the pump curve chart to see where various system curves intersect with the pump curves and choose a good pump and pipe size based on the desired flow rate.

The 2" pipe will have a lower, flatter curve vs a 1.5" pipe, which would have a steeper system curve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You get better flow with 2" pipe. So, you can use a smaller pump or less run time or a lower rpm if it's a variable speed pump.

Good hydraulic design is to keep the suction line water velocity to less than 6 ft/sec.

At 1.5", the velocity will exceed 6 ft/sec and at 2", the velocity will be less than 6 ft/sec.

Since the cost for 2" vs 1.5" is insignificant, I don't see any benefit to using 1.5" pipe.

Ok, so part the reason I even asked the question was because I was having a real hard time sourcing 2" locally. I have found it so it's a no brainer.

2" from skimmer to pump.
All 2" between pump, filter, Heater and SWG. 2", 3 way valve with outputs reduced to 1.5", then 1.5" lines to both returns.

Thanks guys

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.