Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finish elevation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Finish elevation?

Met with a builder today concerning an inground vinyl 16x32 pool with concrete walls. He said the walls need to be 8 inches above ground level at the high point. Is this correct? If so it will totally change my plan due to problems with grade changes in meeting an existing patio.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Finish elevation?

Have you spoken to any other builders? They might or might not say the same thing.

I would think it might be due to the high water table if he's concerned??

I've seen some *very* attractive pool builds that sit up above ground level, if that is your concern. Has he offered a drawing or image of what he is proposing?

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Elevation is arbitrary. Above ALL else, water runoff from your decking and surrounding yard should NEVER be allowed to run into your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Elevation is arbitrary. Above ALL else, water runoff from your decking and surrounding yard should NEVER be allowed to run into your pool.
    One inch per ten feet, is a pretty safe deck pitch for runoff.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    This. Your pool need to be high enough so that the groundwater runs away from it instead of into it. 8" sounds reasonable -- for me it was closer to 2' above ground level at the lowest point of my yard (and I thought my yard was relatively flat ...)
    30k gal IG SW gunite pool, 4-8' deep w/ 16" baja shelf; Ocean Blue PebbleSheen; well water (resin softener); Hayward Pro-Grid 7.5 lb., 60' D.E. filter; Hayward TriStar VS filter pump; Hayward TurboCell T-15 SWG; AquaCal TropiCal heat pump; Hayward OmniLogic automation, Colorlogic lights (2 large; 2 accent); Polaris cleaner w/ booster pump; TurboTwister slide (gray granite); 5' rock waterfall w/ second Hayward TriStar VS pump; TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

When I built my pool I made one side 4" above the grade and sloped the ground up to it. This ensures no water will run in from other yards. It looks great. The side near the house about 14" above the grade of the patio. I will be installing a single step the entire length pf the pool. Every yard will be different. Like mentioned earlier its all bout ensuring water does not run into the pool. If 1" will keep runoff out then it should be enough.
    15,200 gallon Steel/Vinyl "Mountain Lake" Jandy 1 h.p. pump, 260,000 JXi heater, CV340 cartridge filter, True Clear SWG and 2 multi-color LED lights.