Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I have too much pump for my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I have too much pump for my pool?

This was the pump that came with my pool when we bought our house. It still works fine and I don't really intend to replace it, but after reading about pumps and performance on here, I'm wondering if this is too much pump for my pool and if it can cause any problems long term. My water pressure rarely exceeds 20 psi, all of my plumbing is 2", and I don't have any water features, spa jets, or inline cleaners. It sounds like a two speed pump is probably a better fit for my pool. Thoughts?

IMG_0786.jpgIMG_0785.jpg
    34K gal, 20'x40' IGP (backfilled and reinforced concrete block walls with concrete floor built mid-1970's; renovated 2017), PebbleSheen Arctic White plaster finish, Lotus Prisma Marine 1x2 glass waterline tiles, Indiana limestone coping, 1.5hp Hayward pump, Pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color LED 120v Pool Light, Dolphin Supreme M400 robot, Stenner 45M1 pump, Pentair 320 chlorinator (to raise CYA only)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I have too much pump for my pool?

I would say that it's oversized. Typically, a total of 1.0 hp is enough for almost any pool.

It's not so oversized that it would cause any issues other than total energy use.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Good deal. I'll let it run its course and then probably replace it with a 1.0 hp two speed pump when the time comes.
    34K gal, 20'x40' IGP (backfilled and reinforced concrete block walls with concrete floor built mid-1970's; renovated 2017), PebbleSheen Arctic White plaster finish, Lotus Prisma Marine 1x2 glass waterline tiles, Indiana limestone coping, 1.5hp Hayward pump, Pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color LED 120v Pool Light, Dolphin Supreme M400 robot, Stenner 45M1 pump, Pentair 320 chlorinator (to raise CYA only)

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

It appears that your present motor is a 1 1/2 uprated motor, which is equivalent to a full rated 1 hp. Since your plumbing is all 2" and you have a 4.9 sq. ft. filter I believe it is the right size pump. Going with a two speed or variable speed will save you energy cost if you and when you replace it

5. Back To Top    #5

The current pump will do about 95 gpm during a backwash, which comes out to about 19.3 gpm/sqft.

The 1.0 hp total model will do about 75 gpm during a backwash, which comes out to about 15 gpm/sqft.

The 1.0 total is a better fit and will provide more than enough flow for 2 skimmers.

The current pump uses about 2,000 watts, which is a huge waste of energy.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

So which pump(s) would you recommend I look into for the future?

7. Back To Top    #7

Either a variable speed pump or a two speed with a total of about 1.0 hp.
    Support the site

8. Back To Top    #8

I think you could go with almost any size pump and be ok. I have a very small VS pump and I can run it as low as 30 GPM and there is still more than enough flow for 2 skimmers. Based on my own testing, the skimmers I have only need about 15 GPM each to run properly.

Also, I don't think backwashing should be a big issue either. As long as the backwash flow is greater than the filter flow rate, which should always be the case, it should be sufficient to push any dirt out of the sand. (Force in < Force out). Plus if you run mostly on lower speeds, the dirt should be even easier to backwash at higher speeds.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater