rips in safety cover

pfitz4

Bronze Supporter
Feb 26, 2018
North Alabama
Our safety cover has three rips - the smallest is about 2" and the largest is about 10" across. There were claw marks surrounding the area, so I'm assuming some type of animal caused the damage. It's an aging cover, probably 10 years old. I would ideally like to get at least another year out of it, since we are paying for a new liner this year (see other thread relating to leaking lights).

View attachment 73356

Here's a photo that shows the three tears, plus two holes that we found after taking the cover out of storage last fall...chewed up by mice. Good grief! I wasn't as concerned about the mouse holes because they are on the edge that overlaps the concrete.

Is it worth trying to patch these tears? Are there good products available for this size patch? Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

If the fabric is dry rotted and weak, it's no longer safe.

Also, I hope that an animal didn't fall in. If they did, they're going to be nasty when you net them out.

I agree with James, that cover is shot. I can see the black material. You are likely in for an opening of torture, (filter clogging with green fabric this year or next.)

A compromised cover is simply not safe..

& James, Sounds like you have pulled out a furry bag of jelly once or twice??

In my mind, the best way to tell if a cover is shot is really to test it. An animal running on it with claws ripping the covering is a bit of an aggressive test. Sure, in it's prime it would have withstood that too. But I personally would walk on it myself, jumping on it with my non-shoed heels protruding. That would be good test to see if it would hold up to a young human out on it. A safety cover is primarily to keep humans safe and debris out. If it can withstand the adult heel test, then I'd say it's worth repairing to get another year plus out of it and defer the $2-3K expense. Clearly replacing it without reasonable testing is the most conservative approach, but it my be more conservative than needed. Or you may find your heel goes right through.

Now if you have a large, lovable, member of the family type dog that likes to run on the cover, then your cover is shot!

Thank you for the opinions and information. I do have kids, but they are older. And the good news is that I removed the pool cover (for the liner installer to give me an estimate) and found no dead animals :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.