Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: rips in safety cover

1. Back To Top    #1

rips in safety cover

Our safety cover has three rips - the smallest is about 2" and the largest is about 10" across. There were claw marks surrounding the area, so I'm assuming some type of animal caused the damage. It's an aging cover, probably 10 years old. I would ideally like to get at least another year out of it, since we are paying for a new liner this year (see other thread relating to leaking lights).

Attachment 73356

Here's a photo that shows the three tears, plus two holes that we found after taking the cover out of storage last fall...chewed up by mice. Good grief! I wasn't as concerned about the mouse holes because they are on the edge that overlaps the concrete.

Is it worth trying to patch these tears? Are there good products available for this size patch? Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
    25,000 gallon L-shaped pool with vinyl liner; Hayward sand filter, Polaris 280; Aquarite SWG t-15 salt cell; TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: rips in safety cover

Let me ask a couple of questions first-do you have small kids or pets that might get on the cover? Is this the only "safety" barrier for the pool?

We will go from there.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

There are patches made by the manufacturers of some covers, though those may be too large for them.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

If the fabric is dry rotted and weak, it's no longer safe.

Also, I hope that an animal didn't fall in. If they did, they're going to be nasty when you net them out.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    If the fabric is dry rotted and weak, it's no longer safe.

Also, I hope that an animal didn't fall in. If they did, they're going to be nasty when you net them out.
    I agree with James, that cover is shot. I can see the black material. You are likely in for an opening of torture, (filter clogging with green fabric this year or next.)

A compromised cover is simply not safe..

& James, Sounds like you have pulled out a furry bag of jelly once or twice??

7. Back To Top    #7

I know it happens. If an animal falls through, they can't get out. By spring, they're pretty well decomposed.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

In my mind, the best way to tell if a cover is shot is really to test it. An animal running on it with claws ripping the covering is a bit of an aggressive test. Sure, in it's prime it would have withstood that too. But I personally would walk on it myself, jumping on it with my non-shoed heels protruding. That would be good test to see if it would hold up to a young human out on it. A safety cover is primarily to keep humans safe and debris out. If it can withstand the adult heel test, then I'd say it's worth repairing to get another year plus out of it and defer the $2-3K expense. Clearly replacing it without reasonable testing is the most conservative approach, but it my be more conservative than needed. Or you may find your heel goes right through.

Now if you have a large, lovable, member of the family type dog that likes to run on the cover, then your cover is shot!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you for the opinions and information. I do have kids, but they are older. And the good news is that I removed the pool cover (for the liner installer to give me an estimate) and found no dead animals
    25,000 gallon L-shaped pool with vinyl liner; Hayward sand filter, Polaris 280; Aquarite SWG t-15 salt cell; TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Good news. Does the cover feel strong enough to hold someone if they went on the cover?
    Support the site