One more new to BBB and clueless

Re: New Numbers - CyA question

if you have another thread please continue posting in it.
did you have it tested at a store? are you sure they actually tested cya and didn't use your same number from last time?
there's no way to know how long you have to keep it at shock level.

Re: New Numbers - CyA question

mvoorn said:
Hi all,
I got my water tested today:
FC - 5.0
TC - 5.0
CC - 0.0
pH - 7.6
Hardness - 260
alkalinity - 100
CyA - 100

I've checked the CyA/Chlorine chart and it recommends a shock level of 39.
1. How long do I need to keep the pool at shock level?
2. Do I have to drain part of my pool again to lower the Cya levels? I drained 40% of it last wednesday and refilled it thursday, and since then I've only added chlorine (Since I came into this forum and the BBB method).

Thanks,
Michelle

Either the CYA went up from adding trichlor/dichlor or CYA, or one of the testing results is an error.

The problem with the CYA test, is the vials only go up to 100. So often the result shows 100 but it's actually higher. In your case that's possible. You stated you tested with the 6-way and got 65 and then 80. The test is subjective, it's possible you made an error.

I would suggest another partial drain and refill regardless, your CYA is still too high.

I also saw where you said you ordered a TF100? Once that arrives you should be able to test the CYA accurately and you'll use much less bleach to shock the pool if you are able to lower your CYA down to 50 or so. That should be your priority while you wait for your kit.

So do another partial drain/refill. Recirculate and have it retested if the kit hasn't arrived yet. Ask them to do the test infront of you so you can watch to see if they do it correctly.

Here is a helpful link on performing the CYA test:
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=44

Once the CYA level is down and you can proceed to shock, you need to hold shock level thru frequent additions of bleach, hourly if necessary/possible, until the FC holds overnight. The only way to tell if it is holding overnight (with any accuracy) is with the FAS-DPD test included in the TF100. When did you order the kit? They usually are received in 2-4 days.

Did you do your own CYA testing? If so try to re-test and see if you get the same result. Also, your not using pucks or anything other than bleach/liquid chlorine at this time? If the pool store is testing CYA for you find out if they are using anything other than the drops to test it. If they are using strips or one of those electronic testers the results will be inconsistent. It is possible that the CYA was higher than originally thought, again depending on how it was tested in the first place, and that you may still need to drain to lower the CYA. If you are confident you have the right CYA number and don't want to drain anymore then use that number in the pool calculator to find your pool's shock level. Keep the pool at shock level until the water is clear and/or you lose less than 1 ppm of chlorine overnight.

The 6-way walmart test that I was referring to, for the hardness: When you add the 5 drops of the Hardness indicator, the water is supposed to turn red to indicate presence of hardness, then you are supposed to add drop by drop and swirl to mix until the water turns blue... the red color never came, when I added the 5 drops of the indicator the water turned yellowish... I did this 4 times, then a 5th time, I decided to add 10 drops of the indicator, and THEN the water turned red... Now that I got the pool store readings, I suspect the walmart test went bad on me, or something like that...

BTW, sorry, I didn't know I should keep the posts in the same thread!! Won't happen again! =)

The last numbers I posted, where the CyA came to 100 were done at Warehouse Pool Supply, where I asked them to test everything possible anew, specifically for CyA, since I'd have problems with high levels of it. They did it all in front of me, and they used drops for everything. They said "Oh, your numbers all look fine, you shouldn't have to do anything for now" :shock: My thoughts: SERIOUSLY!!??!! Isn't 100 too high for CyA!?!? :? So, anyway, I guess I'll have to drain some more water to be sure. :| :roll:
To answer someone elses' question, No, I have not added anything other than 6% chlorine from walmart since last wednesday/thursday, emptied my chlorinator of the tablets, so only chlorine!!!
The chlorine seems to be holding up and the black algae spots have dissappeared. I still added two more jugs this morning to keep the shock levels up and will continue brushing and keeping an eye on those algae sopts.

Thanks again for all your help and support... I will get there... right?? hehehe

mvoorn said:
So, with those numbers... should I drain some of the pool again? If so, how much would you recommend?

Yes, drain and fill some more, like FPM said. Your CYA apparently went from 100 (or more) to 65, then drifted up to 80. That is either a testing error, or you had some CYA precipitated out somewhere that has gone back into solution. I would assume that 80 is correct at this point, until you test and determine otherwise.

If you do a 50% drain, you might get it to 40, and it could again drift upwards if there is still any stuck in lines or to the pool wall or the filter or whatever. Such a new pool I suspect it is in the filter, but I'm no pro. Meanwhile, if it is a testing error and you are at 65, that would get you to 30-ish, which is not a bad spot, maybe a bit low but not much. That "allows" you the luxury of using tabs for chlorine for a little while, to raise the CYA.

I don't think the CH is too big an issue, that can wait until you get your test kit anyhow. However, I just used a strip (questionable!) to test my tap water to see that Total Hardness is below 100 and CH is typically about 2/3 of that I read somewhere. Hmm, so your fill water may be low in CH afterall. That could change it all, I guess.

Do you have any calcium products on hand (calcium chloride? "calcium increaser?') I suspect it can wait until you can test it with the new kit, but were it me I'd get a source lined up and priced just in case what was 300 ppm CH has become 150 ppm or less with the drain and fill you need to do. The cal-hypo is "allowed" in this case for your chlorine source if CH is low, but it only adds some, maybe 5-10 ppm per usage (see calculator) so if you need 50 or 100 ppm you need something more to get to the bottom of the range at 250, then you can go slow to the middle of the range with the cal-hypo. That's is what I did, the calcium increaser, then cal-hypo for chlorine until I got to the middle of the range.

Today's the day!! I am finishing refilling the pool... I emptied close to half of it to reduce the Cya!!!!!!! I hope this does it, since we are going on vacation tomorrow and I surely can't expect my neighbor/good friend to monitor the chemicals as much as I've been doing it these last few days!!!
I'll keep you all posted!!!

OK, I am puzzled....
According to warehouse pool supply, these are my numbers:
FC - 5.0 (Do they not go any higher??? With the amount of chlorine I'm adding, surely has to be higher than that)
TC - 5.0 (Same as above)
CC - 0.0
pH - 7.8 (A tid high...)
Hardness - 200
Alkalinity - 120
CyA - 100 (STILL??? AGAIN?? I've drained out twice almost half both times!!!! WTH)
Copper - 0
Iron - 0
Dissolved Solids - 750

Any thoughts????? i'm going on vacation tomorrow... and fear for my pool!!! :shock:
BTW, I have not added ANYTHING other than the chlorox by the tons, to make up for CyA... no other chemicals were added since the 5th of August...

mvoorn said:
OK, I am puzzled....
According to warehouse pool supply, these are my numbers:
FC - 5.0 (Do they not go any higher??? With the amount of chlorine I'm adding, surely has to be higher than that)
TC - 5.0 (Same as above)
CC - 0.0
pH - 7.8 (A tid high...)
Hardness - 200
Alkalinity - 120
CyA - 100 (STILL??? AGAIN?? I've drained out twice almost half both times!!!! WTH)
Copper - 0
Iron - 0
Dissolved Solids - 750

Any thoughts????? i'm going on vacation tomorrow... and fear for my pool!!! :shock:
BTW, I have not added ANYTHING other than the chlorox by the tons, to make up for CyA... no other chemicals were added since the 5th of August...

They are probably using a DPD test that only goes to 5. Did you watch them perform the CYA test?

CYA tube vials only go up to 100, so if they said 100 before, it could have actually been higher. You can use a dilution method to see if it's higher. It could be all are testing error, as this is the most subjective test. Re-read Anona's post about it going back up - there have been reports of CYA getting higher after a drain/refill.

This is disheartening. I know how frustrated you are right now, and while you are gone you may backtrack a bit. Is there anyone who can add bleach for you while you are gone?

When did you order the TF100?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They are probably using a DPD test that only goes to 5. Did you watch them perform the CYA test?

Did see them perform the tests, specifically said to check everything from scratch due to CYA levels.

CYA tube vials only go up to 100, so if they said 100 before, it could have actually been higher. You can use a dilution method to see if it's higher. It could be all are testing error, as this is the most subjective test. Re-read Anona's post about it going back up - there have been reports of CYA getting higher after a drain/refill.
I will check on this in a little while, I'm taking another sample to a differnt shop and ask them to do the dillution test, otherwise I will buy another bottle of the CYA reageant to do it myself. When you say you've heard of the CYA getting higher after a drain/refill, does it mean I have to do it again? Or may be will it come down in a few days?

This is disheartening. I know how frustrated you are right now, and while you are gone you may backtrack a bit. Is there anyone who can add bleach for you while you are gone?
I will ask them to add bleach everyday, we'll see how much they can do with jobs, two kids, and going back to school!
When did you order the TF100?
I ordered the test last saturday afternoon.[/quote]
Thanks for your help, I will go get the test redone right now! See what I can find out!

Okay, the kit should come today I would expect, you should have gotten an email that allows you to track the shipment.

With the FAS-DPD test, it will be easier for the person adding bleach to test first, and then add the appropriate amount of bleach.

No, the CYA will only come down thru water replacement. I would feel more comfortable with the number when/if you have your own test performed with your own kit...then you can decide to do another partial drain. It's not uncommon, when CYA is that high, for this to happen and several drains to get it into range. My own pool took 4 partial drains before the CYA came down to 50.

frustratedpoolmom said:
With the FAS-DPD test, it will be easier for the person adding bleach to test first, and then add the appropriate amount of bleach.

It will have to be a very good friend to test the water and add bleach for you!! Can you trust someone to count, swirl, and not dump the tube into the pool? No. I don't think so.

I would trust very few people to do that. In fact, I'd sooner pick a number like 2, and ask them to put 2 jugs of bleach in while the pool is running, slowly at a return, every evening at 6PM or later.

Thanks all! I'm hoping the test will be here today!! Worse case, tomorrow... hopefully before we leave!! hehe

I went to Leslies' (to my dismay) and got the water tested a second time, long behold: the CyA came out to 50!!!! WHAT!? I told him about the other pool store, and he just shrugged his shoulders and said that sometimes some ppl are not as experienced at reading the color change (He was about 50, the guys at Warehouse Pool Supply were about 20); then he repeated the CyA test in front of me to double check... then he gave me a bottle with his reageant for CyA so I can check myself at home... HUH? Totally non-Leslies to be so nice!!!

If things are still so iffy, I will tell my neighbor to just add the bleach... although I can trust that he will check the chemistry levels, I'm not sure it'll be daily... probably every other day or so... since they'll probably be using the pool with their kids, I may threaten with biohazzardous materials unless checked daily... hehehe :twisted: :mrgreen:

Any thoughts on the discrepancy of the two tests?? 100 at Warehouse pool supply Vs. 50 at lesleys? Same way to get the water out of the same place, probably just one hour difference in time... :shock: Thanks!!

Welcome to getting tests done at pool stores! THAT is why you want to test it yourself.

Good news on the CYA, 50 is fine. And since their kids will be swimming I think you are right, they will test and treat correctly.

So now your min is 4 ppm, your target is 8 ppm. They must not let it get below 4.0 and they ought to test before the kids swim. So when they test and it is 4.5 or 4.0, they add one 96 oz jug of bleach, probably after they swim. That is just in case it is suddenly low due to a rain or dead frog or whatever and if they needed to add it first, then they have to let it circulate a bit, I can't recall, I think 30 minutes?

Ask them to tell the kids that if they have to pee, to go over in the grass by the hose, pee there and wash off with the hose and spray off the grass as well. With you not home it will be way too hard for them to go home to do it, if they really would have anyhow. Just explain to the neighbors that if they pee in the pool, then it may take 2 jugs each evening instead of one -- I have no idea if that is true but I'd say it anyhow to get their compliance since you are not leaving them that much bleach :wink:

Thanks! My test kit arrivest today, so we should be good!
My neighbors have a key to house so they will be able to use bathrooms, etc.. they're pretty well informed of the needs of a pool, he used to have one growing up and took care of it as well.
Well, here go on vacation hoping the pool survives!!
Thanks all for your help adn will keep on reading pooll school to learn the ropes better!!
Have a good week all!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.